Odometer not working!!! Speedo Fine, Any advice?

Private

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank the guys who helped me with my last issue. Seems to be solved for now... On to this one..

My odometer is not working. The trip reset is set to zero, and it does not move. The Speedometer works fine. ( from what i can tell anyway). I will have to get someone to follow me to see how fast i am going. The trip reset has a litttle dial on the left side, that you can pull out/ push in and twist. ( Basically like a watch). I am able to rotate the trip reset, but whether it's out or in, or midway, the odometer does not change when driving.

I KNOW I KNOW... some would say this is a blessing, for resale, to keep the low KM's but I need to to judge the fuel in my tank.

Any ideas? Should I just replace? Should this be somehting that should have been fixed on the last inspection ( certification). The Bike passed the inspection from the mechanic.:wtf:

One of the gears are broken or stripped inside. I would just leave it or find another and replace it.

I've read your post 3 times and do not understand what you are saying.

"The Speedometer works fine. ( from what i can tell anyway). I will have to get someone to follow me to see how fast i am going"

how is the speedo working fine when it can't tell you how fast you are going?

It's like saying the engine runs great, no noise as the bike is pushed down the hill in neutral.

Drewpy... I said that the speedometer works fine from what I can tell, because it seems to show me the right speed. I was under the assumption that all the gears work together in those units, so naturally if one is not working ( odometer), then I can assume that the speedometer may not be accurate. This is why I said I would have to get someone to follow me in a car to see if my speedometer was showing the same as what their speedometer is showing. Then I will know forsure that mine is working correctly

must be a cultural thing, as I can't see that in your original text.

prob easier to get a new speedo if you really want an odometer, rather than try and do a repair

Back