Off road capabilities

NewHavenMike

1976 XS360C
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Long story short, I picked up a 1980 cb650 last Summer. Was going to do a scrambler/tracker sort of thing with it. Changed my mind and put that on the back burner...

A coworker of mine has a dual purpose bike and that rehashed my interest in being able to take a DOT legal bike and rip it on trails too. I also have a 86 CR125R that is obviously strictly off road but its no fun when I cant ride it down the road..

I picked up a 79 xs400 a couple months back and it just crossed my mind that it would be a good candidate for a scrambler type style. Its lighter than the CB650 and thus more maneuverable in the dirt.

My question is:

How capable is the XS400 off road? I mean I wont be ripping jumps with it, but I would like to have some fun on the trails. I think if I got taller shocks for it and possibly found a set of longer front forks or even dirt bike forks along with a bigger rear sprocket, I think it would do alright.

Anyone done this?

I have an 80 XS 400 that I take down a few dirt roads. My thoughts are with better aggressive tires & a taller stance it would be a Wannabe!!!! Want to be a crossover bike. Not that it wouldn't be a fair crossover bike but at best it's still a compromise. A fairly good compromise. I'd also change the gearing towards more grunt than top end. Mine with a lower gearing still went all day at 60 - 70 yet had enough grunt for some dirt.

Long story short, I picked up a 1980 cb650 last Summer. Was going to do a scrambler/tracker sort of thing with it. Changed my mind and put that on the back burner...

A coworker of mine has a dual purpose bike and that rehashed my interest in being able to take a DOT legal bike and rip it on trails too. I also have a 86 CR125R that is obviously strictly off road but its no fun when I cant ride it down the road..

I picked up a 79 xs400 a couple months back and it just crossed my mind that it would be a good candidate for a scrambler type style. Its lighter than the CB650 and thus more maneuverable in the dirt.

My question is:

How capable is the XS400 off road? I mean I wont be ripping jumps with it, but I would like to have some fun on the trails. I think if I got taller shocks for it and possibly found a set of longer front forks or even dirt bike forks along with a bigger rear sprocket, I think it would do alright.

Anyone done this?
Back in the late 60's and early 70's that was how most guys did it. They took street bikes, put a big assed rear sproket and a set of knobbies and it became a trail bike. I have even seen several at Enduro, Hare Scrambles and early Motocross events. I have a plan to put together something similar, just because I like the "look" of them. I say go ahead and do it! Heck, I learned to ride on an early 60's Honda 90 and we raced the heck out it. The suspension "might" have had 3 inches travel!! Go have some fun!

That was the original intention on this, until I saw early flat track bike....
20180510_124340.jpg

What size shocks are those? I think id want to be a little higher. Ill probably get the biggest ones I can find. Now that you mention it. I think it could be fun getting into a race with a converted XS400.

Those are 12.5 inch, like stock, I had 14.5 on it but neither stand worked and it made it feel too high- I have short legs!

How did the XS do off-road? I am working on one currently, put 14.5 shocks, and curious? I was hoping
IMG_4012.jpg
of doing some dirt paths but mostly street.

How did the XS do off-road? I am working on one currently, put 14.5 shocks, and curious? I was hopingView attachment 35971 of doing some dirt paths but mostly street.

Not sure if Pete sold it its been a while since he was on here...............I know he was talking about selling bikes........

What tires are those ? I am looking to do 18s on a build and like the way those look............

I'm thinking of knobbies on the 1981 we're putting together... but the 16" rear wheel leaves few options for a knobby.

Any bike can be a dirt bike... some are just more capable than others hahahaha

I’ve taken my 82 SE along plenty of tracks and across the odd field and hill, it does pretty well, is easy to pick up when dropped. I had a 73 triumph Daytona which was really excellent off road, took it up mountain streams, along the ridgeway, across an allotment followed by old Bill. The 19 inch front wheel really helped so I’d recommend that as a possible.
I also took my 900 monster off road one time, it was terrible, never again, no grip, no steering lock, too heavy.

Back