Oil leak impossible to fix

DANIEL RAMOS ALTEMIR

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I bought a Sanglas 400y three years ago and has been leaking on the left cover (alternator) since then some days a couple drops, some days more.
My bike has the same engine as the xs400e so I've been reading the forum to fix this leak she has but it has been impossible. I have tried a new gasket, paper gasket, orange sealant, gasket+sealant and the leak is still there.

Sincerely, I don't know what else I can do...any suggestions would be appreciated and if you ever ome to Barcelona, you have a friend

Attachments

• IMG_20190413_200928.jpg
    IMG_20190413_200928.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 553
This weekend I've tried to change gasket for sealant and let the sealant cool, anyonhe has experience sealing the rubber of the alternator cable?

DÉU N'HI DO!

No experience with that specifically. Not sure about your sealant but must here specify waiting a full day after application before they're put in use. Follow instructions exactly if using sealant.

Generally best bet is OEM gasket (actual Yamaha branded one). How clean was the surface before you resealed it? Did you get EVERYTHING off?
http://www.xs400.com/threads/what-is-considered-clean-boot-gasket-mating-surface.18600/

Had it previously been scraped or gouged in a manner so that the surface wasn't flat? Obviously you want to flat surfaces to begin with. So if you're still having leaks I would truly clean the surfaces to rid then of all the stuff you put on them (takes hours to do a good clean) , then replace with OEM gasket as try to reseal per manual specifications (proper torque and proper sequence with bolts)

Thanks for your reply.
Last I tried the OEM gasket and same result, leaking cover. I have tried the sealant this last time and let it sit for 5h to dry and form a solid gasket instead of soft, still leaks.

I cleaned the surface with a cutter razor and made sure all was pretty clean, any suggestions to inspect the surface for cracks and dents and or cleaning? I already checked the link.

How important is to wrench at the torque specified to avoid leaks?

How important is to wrench at the torque specified to avoid leaks?

Generally manufacturers don't specify a torque setting because it doesn't matter. They specify so you do it correctly, but I'm not sure what that even is for my bike let alone yours. Unless you're way too tight or loose it shouldn't be causing such a bad leak.

Hard to say without seeing it, but possible causes should be limited to a handful of possibilities: unclean gasket surface, gouged gasket surface, poor gasket, improper tightening.

Post some more photos, particularly with it removed if you're going to presumably do that again

This was last weekend, you can see the sealant on the cover and this is the one I used: ceys j28 technobond.

The leak always comes from the same spots, the lower side of the cover.

Attachments

• IMG_20190414_184616.jpg
    IMG_20190414_184616.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_20190414_184533.jpg
    IMG_20190414_184533.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 504
Some of the sidecovers can easily be improperly seated. Happened to me with the clutch cover, one if the dowel pins was ovaled and the cover wouldnt fit over it. If you tighten one side first, the cover can become uneven and seat crooked.

I always snug everything first and maybe give the cover a very light tap with a deadblow before the final snug, which I do in a pattern.

ensure the surfaces are flat using a steel edge

use 1 gasket (I can see 2 in the first photo) and lightly coat either side with grease
make sure all dowels are in there as 1 missing would create a large hole which cannot be sealed

make sure the screws are torqued to 10nm

Sure it's not leaking from wire harness and running down to appear as if leaking underneath?
Hard to tell since it all drips in the same direction. I cleaned and sprayed with a white moisture and it revealed the two leaks...

Any good way to spot a leak?

Last edited:
Hi, leaking again...
This last week tried what everybody here says: clean and new gasket, result? Oil on the floor. Yesterday I tried to clean again and use some specific sealant and today I went for a ride really hoping this would work but I got more of the same.

Plus, if it leaks from the wiring grommet, what's a good fix?

I'm starting to thing that there is something wrong on the cover or the bike...what do you guys think?

Some pics of the fresh oil dripping.

Attachments

• IMG_20190423_172245.jpg
    IMG_20190423_172245.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_20190423_172306.jpg
    IMG_20190423_172306.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 515
Can you physically see the oil dripping from the bottom of the cover..

Could it possibly be the clutch pushrod seal and the oil is just directing that way? I know theres a small cavity at the bottom of where both covers meet and the wires come out.

Quick question for you all: a year ago I changed all the seals (pushrod, kickstart...) except the front sprocket one. Could it be leaking from there?
As I said, I checked with white powder but it didn't show leaks in the sprocket, could it be dripping from there to the left side cover lower part?
Like dripping from there without leaving any drop anywhere else?

I have rechecked the leak and I'm pretty sure it comes from the wire grommet since the wires are not original in my bike so it like through the holes...

Any tip on sealing these holes or the space left? Today I have tried with sealant and pushing the wires insides so ut covers the holes.

I have rechecked the leak and I'm pretty sure it comes from the wire grommet since the wires are not original in my bike so it like through the holes...

Any tip on sealing these holes or the space left? Today I have tried with sealant and pushing the wires insides so ut covers the holes.
hi.did you ever get that leak fixed .I have a small leak in the same area?

Back