1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil Level High - Pull oil Drain plug and barely drizzles --

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by birdbrain, Jun 20, 2022.

1. birdbrain

birdbrain XS400 New Member

Hello this is my first xs400 2e (kickstart only) -- When I go to drain the oil using plug on the left hand side of bike (the one underneath is stripped) oil doesn't really gush out.

It just drizzles. And dip stick reads way over the line and onto the stick itself. Has anybody ever dealt with this? My concern is that the oil may be foamy or stuck somewhere.

Thanks

2. tstidham

tstidham XS400 Enthusiast

You may want to pull the bottom cover plate and filter screen and make sure it's not all gummed up with sludge. There are several bolts on the bottom to yank it. Here's a link to an ebay listing which shows what it will look like. Maybe yank it off and brake clean spray up there to clean gunk out? OIL PAN & FILTER SCREEN 1979 YAMAHA XS400 79 XS 400 | eBay

Oh and I misread your original comment about the bottom drain bolt. You could try carefully poking a small flat blade screwdriver into the hole to see if it's clogged. I would think it should drain just fine from that drain bolt, especially if it's leaned over on its side stand.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022 at 4:46 PM