oops look what simple green will do to metal in a few days.

sly409

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I threw an old petcock in my ultrasonic and forgot about it for a little under a week. When I pulled it out this is what happened to that poor old petcock. Mind you it wasnt anywhere close to this condition before I threw it in. I also used simple green to clean my carbs before but they didnt sit in there for more than a day. Imagine if I had forgotten the carbs :eek:The carbs did come out looking oxidized with this whitish powdery coating on it. Looked something like these carbs but not as bad http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22386 Maybe it started eating the metal?? I'm doing a 2nd cleaning of the carbs with pinesol now. I'll post up the results when Im done.

Well hopefully someone can learn from my mistake lol. I have a brand new petcock from mikesxs and was going to sell the old petcock as parts after it was cleaned but I guess not anymore haha.

Attachments

• IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1790.jpg
    IMG_1790.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1791.jpg
    IMG_1791.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 94
Ill remember that one. Do not use simple green to clean my mc. Posting mistakes are a good way to teach people things.

Aye carumba, that is brutal. Kind of gross actually, looks slimy almost.

On a side note, might I ask what ultrasonic unit you are using? Not that this is a great example ;):laugh:

Back