Paid for a 250 but got a 400

rreffell

XS400 Member
Reaction score
HI im Rob from KC. Just picked up a 80 XS on craigslist. Swore I would never tear a bike to pieces again at first sight. I would be patient and work on one part at a time. I lied to myself again. I started with the tank, then the airbox, then then chain...next thing you know 4 hours later I was looking at a bare frame. All weekend I scoured the net for ideas for a build and I think I finally settled on one. I also want to say im in love with this forum :heart:. Im confident that anything I do will likely not be the first time.

The PO said he got the bike on a trade. He only knew it was a 1980 Yamaha XS250. He told me he got the info from the VIN number. He never got a title. I must admit I was quite disappointed that it was a 250 but I already started looking up ideas to upgrade to a 400. I curiously looked up the vin decoder and it strangely said the bike was a 400! While I was tearing into the new motor I strangely saw "391cc" written on the side. I FLIPPED MY WIG! Well, I guess I got more than I bargained for.

Heres a pic of the new XS and my other baby.

Attachments

• IMG_3997.jpg
    IMG_3997.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 191
Welcome to the forum.nice ride but I'd be worried it's gonna fall off the wall.how'd ya get it to stick there;)

Either go the Vermont route, or get a bonded title here in Missouri. The title is going to be the easy part of this build!

Back