PAMCO 400E ignition trouble shoot, help!

Flagg

Fabricator
Reaction score
hey all! sorry for the long read, but i feel the info might help with my issue.

July 3rd i roasted the circuit board on my stock ignition (non-points model, 81 xs400). 5:30 am, on the way to work, bike shut off, and stank of burning plastic. i still have it, and can post a pic of the specific burned resistor/capacitor if it helps problem solving.

so i bought this beautiful piece of equipment from pamco. his 400E electronic ignition system. i also bought the E-advancer, since my stock bike was not a points model, so i didnt have the mechanical advancer he suggests using in the directions. this was all purchased after emailing pete himself, and asking questions about the right setup for my bike.

fast forward a few more weeks, and i was ready to install and finally fix my roasted ignition. but, i couldnt find directions online for his particular advance model (he does not include printed directions with the product), and had to email pete again, which took two days to get a response. but he did eventually get me set up with the proper wiring diagram. i'm not sure why he doesn't have a phone contact for his business.

all was well. i wired it up, meticulous as i am about getting things right. everything tested on the meter as having full power and volts. got the timing light ready for the first fire-up. the bike fired on the 2nd try, and sounded great. then, a few minutes into running, the bike shut off.

and the bike no longer has spark at the plugs.

so, we checked all my wiring (at this point i have help from my brother, who understands and professionally does electrical wiring). we put the meter to all the parts again, testing all grounds and leads. the coils still read as good. battery is fine. even hooked up a new coil, which still didnt work. as far as we can tell, literally everything in that new system is correctly hooked up, strictly following his diagram, and getting the correct power. all the chip boards on the sensor are reading fine. there is no burnt or broken electronics in the new system.

the bike should LITERALLY have spark at the plug, yet absolutely no spark.

so my brother, who i almost NEVER see stumped by an issue he cannot solve, was stumped. he told me to contact pete again, asking for help with the issue...

but, pete does not list a business phone number.

i emailed pete, trying my best to describe the issue. this was last tuesday. i have not heard back from pete. it's frustrating enough that he does not provide a phone contact. i dont want to think that he is ignoring my email. i had a group camping ride planned for this weekend, which i will now not be attending, because i couldnt get the bike fixed by today. i know my frustration is higher because of that.

please, anyone that can give me any advice, whether it be technical, or how to contact someone who can help me with this hard-to-figure issue... i would appreciate it more than you know. it's not often im this stumped.

are you getting any power to the coils?
check that the ignition is pulsing and earth to the other coil terminal

Flagg,

I'm here. Having a phone number for such a small company as mine would be cost prohibitive. The installation instructions are on the web site, www.xs400ignition.com . Here is the link from that site. http://xs400ignition.com/Installation400E.htm .Like many companies these days, the instructions are posted on line so you will get the latest updates. None of the tech items I have bought recently came with instructions, including two HP printers and an Apple TV box. Please continue your trouble shooting and remember that the PAMCO was tested prior to shipping and it does have a one year warranty, so let me know how it goes.

Thanks Pete, and sorry for the long delayed response.

Guys, I still haven't solved this issue. Bike's been in storage since last summer. Had a guy check all the electrical, and he said everything was fine, except that he couldn't check the stator. So I picked up a stator, and did the swap, and still no spark. Being unsure how to actually test a stator, I'm willing to bet the replacement was uncalled for.

The last few things I can do that I know of are: replace the coils, which are testing fine.
Replace ignition switch, which also tests fine.
Ship Pete back his Pamco for a replacement, tho nothing about it seems bad.

The weather is so nice outside right now. :(

IMG_6688.JPG
Ok, also: These are two parts in the system. Can someone tell me what they are called? Does anyone know how to test them to see if they are bad and need replacing?

Silver one is the voltage regulator and the black one is the rectifier. The manual tell you how to test. But these are for the charging system.

IMG_6868.PNG
Ok so the manual says I can test the rectifier when the bike isn't running. Voltage regulator requires the bike to be running. Anyone know how to test it without a running bike?

You can do resistance tests on the stator and field coil with the bike off. The procedures are in there somewhere. Chapter 6 electrical section I believe.

I would think with a full battery the bike should still start, even if the regulator/rectifier were bad.

If the bike has no spark then it the ignition system not charging. If you have a good battery it should fire.

battery is brand new and still good. picked up the pamco ignition and e-advancer.... the bike fired and ran for a total of 10 or so minutes, strong and healthy, then i shut it off.

and that was that, no more spark from then on. i know the battery is fine, that's easy enough to test.

going to just replace coils now, and go from there.

i'm so not the electrical guy bahaha

thanks guys, you are helping more than you know!

Last edited:
IMG_6869.JPG

The original board burned up one day, poof. You can see the burn bottom center. I tried to repair after I paid for the pamco haha, I'm so bad at electrical.

Got pamco and installed. Fired 2nd kick, ran for 10 minutes. Turned key off. Two minutes later tried to start. No more spark.

Anyways, just got to shop so now gonna test coils again

I know nothing about electrical...but if you blew a cdi...could you have blown the new one?... could there be a short somewhere in the loom ?...just throwing this at you...

I would be checking how the bike is wired. That box is toasted. How long do you run the stock tci before that happened and was that after you rewired the bike.

Jeff, that was my first thought too. The pamco looks to be in perfect clean brand new condition. There is no burning or any physical sign of damage. Which is why I haven't sent it back to Pete yet.

Chris, we wired it using the original harness, tho we removed most unused wires. I had the bike wired, and was riding it everyday to work for about two weeks, also rode it on a 600 mile round trip weekend, before the stock tci burned. We used the original because we were pressed for time and it worked, the plan was to strip the whole bike after the trip, paint and rewire it.

The stock coils tested 3.4 ohms each last night... I believe my next step is to build the new harness.

So you there was no fuse to the ignition system. There should be a 10amp max fuse to that. The main should have no larger than a 20amp.

Back