Pamco ignition opinions

Yes, did, works very well. No mechanical points that wear that require adjustment. Starts easily and runs smoothly. I did drill and tap an inspection hole for setting timing on the left side case. No drawbacks or regret as yet.

If you stock TCI works there's no benefit to them. If you have a points bike then yes better than points. If you get one get the one with an e-advance. I have seen a few people have issues with them going bad quick and having a hard time getting in contact with the maker for a replacement lately. So I don't know whats up with the guy, he used to be very quick to help or replace units that are under warranty. I still have a bike with stock points and it will start on the first kick and run very well.

If you stock TCI works there's no benefit to them. If you have a points bike then yes better than points. If you get one get the one with an e-advance. I have seen a few people have issues with them going bad quick and having a hard time getting in contact with the maker for a replacement lately. So I don't know whats up with the guy, he used to be very quick to help or replace units that are under warranty. I still have a bike with stock points and it will start on the first kick and run very well.
I have no experience with a points bike and it has been many years ago for points in car. I wonder if the benefit outweighs the cost or if I would be better served spending the money elsewhere. I have already committed to new swingarm bushings and new bearings for the front end. I also have new shocks ready to go.

New points and condenser cost about $30 or so off ebay ( the last time I looked). If your ATU is in good shape that all it should cost you.

My Pamco with the E-advance broke in February/March 2018. Ive been waiting for a response ever since. Ive given up on Pamco even though the unit worked well when it did.

I bought a Newtronic optical ignition as well to see how that held up. It also worked great but failed the first ride I took. The timing wheel is cheap plastic and there was an interference with it and the optical pickups. It cause a ton a misfires so I put it back in the box. Im currently having a friend machine an aluminum timing wheel with his Bridgeport mill to the proper size as an experiment..

I did order a Tytronic ignition which basically replaces only the points, uses the mechanical advance still. I haven't been home to sign for the package but it has arrived.

Ive been running the points ignition since all of this and it hasn't given me trouble yet. My only complaint is that the timing isn't absolute like the electronic ones and the points themselves are a wear item and need to be checked occasionally.

Ya'll should get in touch with Paul Crowe up at C5ignitions.com, He might be able to develop an ignition system for our bikes. I've been talking with him lately about the optical ignition kit they offer for the KZ's. Systems are multispark, have tunable timing curves and include an optional rev limiter. Every email to him has been answered promptly and he is very knowledgable. PowerArc has been around for years and is proven technology. I have no affiliation with C5, just passing along info I've came across.

Seems like C5 has a decent setup going. The prices are just too high for me though. If they can develop a basic E-ignition with a close-to-stock curve and keep it under $250, Id probably be more interested.

I went to the post office and picked up my new Tytronic pickup plate. Quality looks decent for China stuff. Instructions are crap but its a simple enough installation. 2 wires for coils and an extra wire for switched power. Pics and update coming soon...

I asked for owners with Pamco ignition systems to share their thoughts. If you folks want to discuss other brands/models I would appreciate it if you took it to another thread rather than changing the direction of mine. I realize there are other choices too, but that was not the purpose of my thread. I did appreciate the information in the first post New Haven Mike.

Back