petcock replacement

badgertom

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have a damaged (hole) in the filter of the petcock. Unable to find a replacement of the filter (I tried Bikerbandit.com and Powersedge.com) I decided to replace the petcock. Since most petcoks do not fit ( the filters are usually round and larger) I will have to make adjustments to the tank. Also, the vacuum line is eliminated. I assume I just plug up the connect to the carburator (?). Has anyone tried this? What brand/model petcock did you use and how was it installed? Will it work by just plugging off the vacuum line? I am at a loss as to what to do. Thanks for any help

I'm about 80% sure that the petcocks from MikesXS will work. Don't hate me if I'm wrong though! I have them on my XS650s and SR500. They seem to be somewhat universal for Yamahas of that era. If you get a non-vacuum petcock, just cap off the vacuum port on the intakes and turn the petcock to off when you're done riding.

MikesXS also sells the replacement screens that might work if that's all you need. They are individual screens that go on each tube.

Took a dripping xs400 petcock apart last summer, and over frosty beverages we took it all apart and figured out the zany contraption. I seems they work on vacuum to "open" the fuel flow, so turning over the motor, creates suction, allowing the fuel to flow . . . no engine turney over . . . no gassy flowwy! Just pull the fuel line off the carb with fuel in the tank and see if you get doused? We didn't. So simply plugging off the vacuum line could lead to a no gas flow situation.

they are good when they work and I rebuilt mine from a kit from parts'n more than 4 years ago and its still going strong.

xs650's 1980-84 will work. All the same other than the direction of the lines

I'm using the manual petcock with plate from Parts-N-More. If I can't remember to turn the gas on...or off, I need to pick another hobby.

I'm using the manual petcock with plate from Parts-N-More. If I can't remember to turn the gas on...or off, I need to pick another hobby.

Houghmade, this is the set up I'm after to feed a single Keihin carb in a 2-1 system. How is it working? Does the plate seal to the tank ok? Still can't believe Parts-N-More want $65 to send the plate to the UK...bastards, lol.

Last edited:
It works perfectly. The petcock comes with 2 or 3 hose barbs that can go in one of 2 places, so there are some options for running the fuel line. The plate is thick, strong and fits perfectly- no leaks ever...pity it costs so much for you. At $36 here (when I bought it) it made more sense to me than taking a chance on a rebuild kit that may or may not work (my petcock was "properly knackered" as you might say).

If I had seen the Mikes XS petcock before the Parts-N-More, I may have gone for that. It looks good and is one piece rather than a plate and petcock. That being said, I'll stick to what I have now.

BTW- I removed the screen from the petcock inside the tank and now I run a replaceable (glass and chromed steel) fuel filter outside the tank.

413kxf9q3kl.jpg

Ok, first post. I have a 1981 XS400H. Tried to test out the seals for my petcock. Didnt go too well. Gasket is terrible, the aluminum where the filter attaches to the petcock has apparently turned to putty. Didnt even know that could happen. I'm going to just replace the thing altogether. Now my question is, which one do I need?

On MikesXS I see Part# 20-0019. That looks right. But wait... On PartsNMore, what the hell are all those things... Which one do I need, oh god, brain explosion :yikes: !!!!!

Ok, I'm ok again.

So which one should I go with, so lost right now. Thanks in advance for the help.

Since you have to replace your petcock you won't go wrong choosing a manual petcock. The one from MikesXS seems to be the easiest bolt on choice.

Ok, so MikesXS is out of stock. If I do order from partsnmore which parts do I need?

Definately the Universal Fuel Petcock, but which Petcock Adaptor Plate would I need seeing as they list 3 on there? Would I also need the Fuel Petcock Adaptor Nut since there are 2 listed there?

It would be so much easier if there were some in stock at MikesXS, but since I want to get this thing running ASAP I'm going to need to go with partsnmore. I just dont know which parts I need. :banghead:

The three different sizes are the distance between the mounting bolt holes. Measure the distance on your tank and order the corresponding part....

Back