Pickup coil position?

01ps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I have an 81 XS400 Special with electronic ignition. I had the pickup coil out last winter and I put it back in the way I thought it should be, but I'd like to confirm.

There are 2 notches in the pickup, and a single notch in the head. I initially installed it so the tab that was left between the two notches in the pickup pointed at the notch in the engine (pic 1)

I tried it in both other positions, and in pic 2 it idles smoother and higher but seems to have less power, and like in pic 3 it seems like it might have more power but pops on decel more and may be running hotter.

Anyway, what is the correct position, and has anyone played with this before? Is this a way to adjust the timing? The manual says it is not adjustable, but this seems like one way to do it.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 309
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 266
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 279
its for inserting a flat bladed screwdriver to time your ignition. a twist will move the plate when the engine is running and you using a strobe!

its for inserting a flat bladed screwdriver to time your ignition. a twist will move the plate when the engine is running and you using a strobe!
The manual I have says the timing is not adjustable on this model.

I'll hit it with the light this afternoon.

Back