pilot jet question before i order

vectra

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
i need new pilot jet and have seen on mikesxs
they have a kit
now what one works with the bs34 carbs ???
i only need the pilot jets but i think getting the kit might be better off in the long run
also
i see this jet

#42.5 Pilot Jet - BS30/96 Type - Fits: XS1/XS1b/XS2/TX650/TX650A (1970-75)
BS 38 Mikuni CV carbs, XS650G/SG/H/SH/SJ/SK/SL (1980-84) BS34 Mikuni
CV carbs. Sold in 2's

will that one work or not ???

If it says bs34, it'll work.

What "kit" are you talking about? I bought all of my jets individually. If you need to replace other internal bits that's a whole different story.

Are you looking for stock pilots or upgrading?

just stock
got a new to me carb body plan was to pull all the bits out the one i had and put in the new.
the idle mix screws was broke in the seat so i got new screws and put everything in the new to me bodys
but found out the pilot jets was not going to be able to save so i need new ones

Mikes pilot jets that fit the bs34 carbs will fit the carbs I sent you. But there rebuild kits will not. They are for the 80-82 bs34's you have the 77-79 bs's:thumbsup:

good news then i did not order the kits just the jets
them carbs cleaned up well other then the missing jets
new screws are on and working just wont idle with missing jets LOL
but it runs strong when you give it gas LOL

Mikes does not carry the pilot AIR jet for the 77-79 xs400 carbs. I can't find any one that carries them. I included some pics of the 77-79 air jet witch are a 170(the tarnished one) and the 80-82 air jet witch are 155 (and these are the ones mikes has). I don't even have any extras of the early ones with all the carbs I have had over the years they always have striped heads or are gone:(

Last edited:
the pilot air jet was fine and was added to the carb bodys i got from you it was only the pilot jet that fits under the brass cap in the bowl that i am getting

:thumbsup: got the new jets yesterday and i am going to add them to the carbs tomorrow
is there anything i need to watch out for when adding them or tips to put them in with out damage ????
think i will be ok just want to make sure

When removing jets use a screw driver that fits as snugly as possibly; having a tapered tip on a driver is actually not ideal. Brass deforms very easily, so don't force them and don't over-tighten the new ones; they just need to be snug.

Back