Please help! Starts fine then dies

ajgalefs1

Sup
Reaction score
Hey everyone this is my first post as to I am a newer owner of an 83 xs400 12R (I think).
Bike had been running fine and put new fork seals in over the weekend. Then Monday morning started up just fine but the problem happened when I went to put the bike in gear. It completely died. No bogging just shut off. No lunging either as if I dumped the clutch. So I started it again and tried going into 2nd with the same result. Then I tried putting it in 1st and holding the clutch in and starting, but I got nothing. It was like I wasn't touching the clutch at all. So I proceeded to adjust the clutch cable but still the same issue.
I read on another site that there could be a kill switch that's not disengaging but other than that I have no leads.

If you have some thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

It does but I had been testing it on the center stand.

I ended up figuring it out! The clutch cable adjuster screw and bolt were to tight. I had done what I had found in a few of the previous threads which was tighten until pressure then back of a 1/4 turn. And that didn't work so I tired backing it off even more and that fixed it. I came to the conclusion that that must be it because with holding the clutch in I couldn't spin the rear tire thus it wasn't getting into nutral.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Back