Pods Vs. Air Box

thlillyr

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I am really sick of pulling my carbs and trying to cram them back in. I'm considering dumping the air box and switching to pods just so its easier to put the carbs back in the bike.

So question is what is the downside/upside of switching to pods and the downside upside to keeping the air box. i know I've got to rejet to around 145 and maybe raise the float height is there more than that? Is pods going to hurt my fuel economy? By how much?

imo I think pods look nicer. Supposed to get more HP and less MPG with them but I coudn't really tell. I went up one size on the main/pilot jet and did not mess with the float height.

Got any pictures of what the pods look like? Also I'm not sure where to get my air filters and what to get.

didn't do anything they are only 3" long so there is room to fit.
sometimes I ride without the fairings on to show off the pods :p

What year is your XS??

Hi Guys, Im new to the forum, new to bikes, and definitely new to modifications on bikes!! I've recently bought a 77 XS400 and am wanting to convert it to a cafe eventually. As I am not too savvy on the Yammy's Im not sure how much these bikes differ between the years of make, as I would eventually like to do the same.

I have it stored at a friends house currently, so getting my hands dirty and checking out what is what is a little difficult until I can make room at home. I guess Im just reading through this forum and getting ideas of what I want to achieve by the end of the build, and would greatly appreciate peoples help!

Asking stupid questions is the only way Im gonna learn, I guess!!

:rock:

Last edited:
putting pods on is pretty much the same on and old carb jap bike, just measure the intake side of the carb and buy that size pod filter.

there not much else to it other than the re-jet , a small hp gain but nothing noticeable, and might give it a throat-ier sound when hammering down hard

Mine is an 82 xs400R which I am finding is a far less common body style than what most people have on this forum. What I found on my bike is that the air box is part of the battery box. So I'd have to carefully cut away the air box leaving the battery part and frame mounts. I decided to hold off on it till the summer for financial and pain in the butt reasons.

Sorry to hear of your situation,but there are medicines made for the relief of hemorrhoids.HaHa I also have an xs400rj seca,and you're right about the airbox being part of the battery mounts.I'm going to remove my airbox and reposition the battery. You will have to get resourceful to find a good place to mount everything,but on my bike,the filter box takes up a large area,and I'm going to have to figure out where it all can go. Good luck. lha

Back