Powerful enough?

motojoss

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey!
Soo... There´s a good looking xs400 for sale for around 700$. Thinking of turning it into a scrambler-ish kinda bike. I´m a little above 5´8, 64kg/130lbs and 14 yrs old, don´t start laughing, not yet xD. Been working with a "couple" of bikes recently, an old Soviet 350cc 2-stroke, Soviet 750cc boxer, then some old 50cc mopeds, a Kawi 80cc, a "few" of "boring new" ATVs, quite a lot of tractors lol + some more stuff I cannot remember right now and I currently own a 92 Polaris Indy 500 EFI snowmobile which I just finished a top end rebuild this weekend and a 450cc Honda Foreman 4x4. Right now I´m fixing up another 350cc 2-stroke for my neighbour and for a school project (it´s missing 2nd gear). As soon as I get the school project done, I´m gonna buy a motorcycle, but which one... I earn my money by repairing machinery and working my buttoff with tractors in a farm at summers. Everything I listed above was fckn slow except my snowmobile :)
Ughh now my ego got big. How powerful an 82 xs400 really is? Or should I just sell my kidney and buy an H2R lol.
Thanks

Attachments

• xs400.jpg
    xs400.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 298
The XS is no. Going to knock your socks off and that's ok. It's plenty powerful for the open road and it's easy to work on. When maintained properly you won't have to work on it much.
It's not the prettiest bike out there but will take you and a friend on plenty of adventures. Being that it's over 30 year old technology you can ride the snot out of the bike while maintaining safe speeds. Keep in mind the bike is only as good as the rider so if you learn to enjoy the flexy old frame and weak brakes it will make you a better rider and won't hide your flaws as much as modern bikes do. If you can be fast and smooth on an old bike you will be a much better rider on newer, bigger bikes.

Forget the H2.

I was surprised how well it actually moved when I first got mine out. Yeah its no super bike but for something that is only 10 years newer than me it works good :D Plus the nostalgic look is nice.

That’s good to hear :) The H2 part was a joke :$ Now I have the xs in strong consideration. Thanks

A few guys I know that come from riding big V-twins even say that the little 400 yamahas of the 70s are quick little bikes. What I like about my 360 is that I can use all of the available power and run out a couple gears and level out at 50mph after doing so. It doesnt have much power when it comes to overtaking cars on the highway but Im finding it best to stay at a steady 65mph and cruise.

Hey!
Soo... There´s a good looking xs400 for sale for around 700$. Thinking of turning it into a scrambler-ish kinda bike. I´m a little above 5´8, 64kg/130lbs and 14 yrs old, don´t start laughing, not yet xD. Been working with a "couple" of bikes recently, an old Soviet 350cc 2-stroke, Soviet 750cc boxer, then some old 50cc mopeds, a Kawi 80cc, a "few" of "boring new" ATVs, quite a lot of tractors lol + some more stuff I cannot remember right now and I currently own a 92 Polaris Indy 500 EFI snowmobile which I just finished a top end rebuild this weekend and a 450cc Honda Foreman 4x4. Right now I´m fixing up another 350cc 2-stroke for my neighbour and for a school project (it´s missing 2nd gear). As soon as I get the school project done, I´m gonna buy a motorcycle, but which one... I earn my money by repairing machinery and working my buttoff with tractors in a farm at summers. Everything I listed above was fckn slow except my snowmobile :)
Ughh now my ego got big. How powerful an 82 xs400 really is? Or should I just sell my kidney and buy an H2R lol.
Thanks
I have that snowmobile model too, do you recommend to consider the Polaris ranger accessories for the Maverick?

Back