Progressive springs on DOHC (Maxim) fork?

JaredK

82 DOHC
Reaction score
I'm looking to get some progressive springs for the front end of my 82 Maxim, hoping to reduce the brake dive a bit.

I know the Maxim/DOHC bikes have 35mm forks rather than the 34mm (or 33?) forks in the SOHC bikes. Would these springs work?
http://www.xs650direct.com/products-19.html (Part #27-1088)

It notes they are 24mm Dia. x 484mm long (or 19" long). The DOHC manual says that the original springs are 561mm (22.1") long, a difference of 3 inches. Would I need to add a 3" spacer?

I should note that I've already got my fork stanchions raised up into the triple by about an inch, and am using the original springs without any additional spacers, and 20wt oil. I'll probably try out some spacers first before buying springs, but from what I understand adding spacers/increasing preload won't change brake dive, it'll just make the suspension stiffer.

Great, thanks! Looks like Dime City sells them as well, although at $129US + $25 shipping to Canada they're well over twice as much as the springs from XS650Direct. And I can't find much on the Hagon's in terms of specs.

I heard back from XS650Direct and they thought the springs would work along with a 3" spacer. It sounds like their springs are very similar to the Progressive Suspension model 11-1119 (which have the same spring rate as stock springs, at 25 lb/in).

Any downside to getting the shorter springs and adding a 3" spacer?

Here's what I'm looking at:
Stock springs: 22" long, 25 lb/in (assuming 0.95" OD?)
PS 11-1119: 19" long, 25/35 lb/in (0.95" OD) (would add 3" spacer)
PS 11-1108: 20.75" long, 35/50 lb/in (0.99" OD) (might be too wide to fit in the fork? And too stiff?)

I have 20" long ones in my forts, they work very well, took the sponginess out of the forks.
But my bike is quite lower though being a cafe racer.
I would suggest installing a stainless braided brake line which makes for more positive braking also.

Back