Project section?

Wellllll.

It's been several months now and i have to say i still find this site unnecessarily hard to use.

It would be so great if we had actual sections and stickies for key things like manuals and wiring diagrams. The way most forums are set up.

I understand that takes more moderator work but I'm sure there would be some of us willing to help out.

I'm still going to fight you on this one. I've used tons of motorcycle forums myself and prefer the way this one is setup. Links to the manuals and wiring diagrams are both in the Tech page. Think of the tech page as all of the Stickies in one place. Everyone can help with the "sections" by adding and cleaning up tags. I don't see how having concrete sections is going to change anything. How is the site harder to use because of the way threads are organized with tags rather than forum sections?

You mentioned you run or help run other forums.. which ones?

Just for the hell of it, if we stopped using tags to categorize things, what main categories would you want? And what do you do if a thread clearly belongs in two?

Last argument... take a site like http://yamahaclub.com/forums/ They have tons of categories, but one of the more popular ones is called Yamaha Classics. If you went there to post about your XS400, your posts about your XS400 would not only all be one category, but would also be mixed in with tons of other post about other vintage Yamaha's. This site has a narrower focus than one single category on that site. Should that site have a subcategory for every vintage Yamaha, and subcategories under each of those bikes for engine, carbs, wheels, brakes, etc. ??? I just noticed that that site also has a category called Yamaha Workshop (Post your Yamaha technical queries here). How confusing! You have a technical question about your Yamaha XS400 carbs. Where do you post it? In the section dedicated to the Classic Yamahas, or in the section called Yamaha Workshop? Now you have your XS400 carb question next to question about R1 brakes. That sounds like a fun category to browse. Here you post your question about your carbs in The Garage, and click Carburetors when you post, so it shows up under carburetors on the forum main page. Then if that discussion turns into a discussion about ignitions because that really was the problem, then someone can add the tags electrical and ignition.

Just my opinion :) :twocents:

Back