Projekt xScrambler

I had similar emgo shorty mufflers. I re-packed them with high quality muffler fiberglass and they sounded good; the stock packing is junk and very thin. To mount them on with clamps I had to make a few relief cuts because they are so thick. They are also not as loud as you'd expect with nice packing.

Are you going to weld them on or clamp them on?

Are you going to weld them on or clamp them on?

They have a mounting bracket welded on, just not drilled. I will mount the exhaust underneath the footpegs - and there are unused mounting points left after removing the central stand. Should work just fine.

And thanks for the tip about replacing the material!

Second small update:
IMG_2210.JPG

I knew I was buying chinese shocks and that the quality is not superb, but i did not expect this to happen when simply unscrewing the mounting point... no force was used! :/

I bought chinese foot pegs on ebay and experienced a similar result. I had the bike at max lean in a corner and the peg snapped right in half under my weight. It looked the same. Lucky for me I was wearing a full race suit; my leg dragged a bit on the ground as I went off balance but I was able to recover.

I have no idea what that crap is, but it looks like the inside of the "metal" peg I had too. It's a very gritty cast material. Metal with some kind of cheap filler. Or a cheap cast filler with a coating on top of it to make it look metal. I'm glad you weren't hurt!

I bought some very cheap xs650 shocks from mikesxs.net so far and they have been great. They aren't the best, but they haven't snapped in half!

To be honest I have had bad experience with every part I tried to get extremely cheap on ebay. You know, they ones that are clearly a generic Chinese part. Even the plastic blinkers I got in the past melted under the heat of the bulb from normal usage!

Last edited:
Looks like it was stripped. My thread goes the whole length of that eyelet. Being stripped that bad, any attempt at turning it would for sure break that thin casting. Those Chinese sellers are sometimes good with customer service, send them an email and they may just send you a replacement

I already have and the seller is willing to send a replacement. That is actually great with them. Not sure if I want those shocks on my bike though...

When you get the new set, take of those mounts, add some lithium grease or antisieze to those threads. Will help prevent them from stripping

Looks nearly exactly like my planned project with this:

XS400%206.jpg

Mine will be a little more retro though.

I love what you are doing, very clean looking.

Last edited:
Hi!

Its been a while since last update, personal stuff, but the project is not dead. Have a look :)

RS front with KTM risers is on - fits like a charm (thanks LuckyEight!) - front wheel is not done yet, needs some spacers. Rear will go higher, sits a bit too low for my taste...
Finally, it is taking shape :)

20160306_180120.jpg

DSC00849.JPG

DSC00851.JPG

DSC00360_sm.jpg

Last edited:
I like the idea of working with a wood base for the seat. My question is, how did you curve the plywood?

Very simple - I bouth a thin plywood (1,2 mm). It bends easily without breaking. Then I cut a shape that remotely reassembled seat, about 8 times.
And one by one (one a day!) I glued it together, fixing it to the frame with bar clamps. When dried, it holds shape perfectly. Took about a week in total.

My plywood is water resistant, so hot water would not help...

Impressed with this. You've given me one or two ideas. It may be slow but it's getting there and building it is half the fun.

Curious about the parts list for the front end swap.. Did you have to fabricate anything special? I've been dreaming of something similar on my build! Thanks for the thread, really rad! Can't wait to see the end result:)

Hi.

Yes, but for now only spacers for the front axle. Spacers for a (new) break disc will also be required.
Rest is pretty much "standard" swap from 2005 RS 125.

Back