Push Rod Ball Bearing in Crankcase?

SlyPro

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping you can save me some time and mess with my '82 XS400SJ! I was adjusting my clutch cable when it totally dislodged from the engine side. No problem I thought and pulled the right crankcase cover off (the one that holds the worm gear assembly).

I took the opportunity to wipe off bunch of old caked-on grease. While doing that, I somehow pulled the push rod out about and an inch or two. It didn't come out all the way and I was able to push it back in. I remember seeing a ball bearing on the push-plate side of the rod on the fiche (see item 14 here: http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50042203f8700209bc7874ab/clutch) and am now worried it may have slipped out of it's bore and into the crankcase. I'm not sure if that's even possible, but I really don't want to start riding the bike and have a ball bearing being tossed around and between my gear teeth.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

The hole the push rod goes into is drilled all the way through the transmission input shaft. The only places that ball can come out is either end.
In the situation you describe there was no place for the ball to fall out.
If you completely removed the push rod, the bearing won't fall out. It's a bit to large to fall out through the seal.
Leo

Back