Put new Handlebars on my bike and now it's acting up.

Ace4569

Original XS400 Chick
Reaction score
So I got my Clubmans bars put on my bike put everything on them tighted everything and it's all in proper order but when I turned my bike on the RPMs shot up to about 5000 i think and then it died. It won't turn back on (my guess is some kind of flooding) but I don't know what caused this have any of you guys ever experienced anything like this?

Also Since I have shorter bars now I have all this excess wire any tips on triming them down or is there a place I can buy new wires or would a motorcycle mechanic be able to take care of that and how much about would that be?

The problem is most likely with your throttle cable. Follow the routing from your throttle control down to the carbs, make sure there's no binding. Check the point where the throttle cable connects to the carbs to make sure its seated properly. If your bike has a choke cable on the left control check that too.

thanks it was the throttle I think I wrapped the cable on accident but it's all betternow I just need to find a way to shorten all of the wires including the brake,clutch and brake fluid and light cables and all that. It's easy to do the electrical stuff I am just inept with the fluid cable and the brake/clutch. Do you think it would cost a ton at a mechanic to shorten them? I'm just kind of afraid to screw with the brake lines and clutch. not to mention I am lacking a saudering iron and torch

I put clip-ons on my bike. All I did was wrap the cables around the frame in new ways. It took some trial and error, but I have no excess now and nothing binds or pulls from lock to lock.

Back