Question about installing a new chain

jim12

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I bought a new JT 530 X1R chain last fall but winter happened and I havent gotten around to installing it until now. My problem is that it now seems a little stiff, even though its never been used. Maybe leaving it sitting out on a bench in my basement all winter wasn't a great idea? Does anyone know if it's still ok to put on and use, or should I re-lubricate it somehow?

There are little rubber seals compressed between the chain plates, it's normal for it to feel a bit stiff. They usually ship them with a heavy coating that I like to clean off before installation or it slings off everywhere. I don't like to soak the chain but I will wipe it off with mineral spirits and then lube with a spray wax chain lube.

Most common cleaner is proper kerosene, can put in spray bottle. I'd chain spray it first before worrying about cleaning unless it got really Dusty and dirty or rust from damp basement

A new X-ring or O-ring chain will be seem stiff compared to a standard chain. I buy regular cheap Bike Master chains. I open the box and install the chain and ride it. Anyhing more than a standard chain is overkill, unless you are using the bike for off roading. The sealed chains rob power from our bikes. On a GSXR1100, is a different story.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Indeed I probably went overboard on the heavy chain but I'm gonna follow this advice and put it on soon anyway.

New chains should have new sprockets. The heavy duty chains are wider than the standard ones and will rub on the engine case for the sohc motors. Some can cut a very deep gouge in them.

Back