1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Main Jet sizing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BambinoFan, Jul 8, 2022.

1. BambinoFan

BambinoFan XS400 Member

Hey friends,
    Looking to rebuild my carbs to deal with a running idle issue - Thinking the diaphragms are shot. While I'm in there figured I might as well re-jet the whole thing. Ordered a rebuild kit from Taiwan, now I'm just confused about the main jet sizing. Baby is a 84 xs400j Maxim.

The manual says that I need two sizes, 127.5 and 120, for left and right, respectively. The kit I ordered comes with 112, 125 and 142.5. Could I use the 125 and the 112 for the left and right, and just turn them out/in more than they are now? Or did I slip and should I order another set of jets altogether?

2. CaptChrome

CaptChrome XS400 Addict

Main jet replacement won't help an idle issue. I would rebuild the carbs with the stock jets first, tune the bike with those, ride it for a bit and then decide on re-jetting. Making too many changes all at the same time can lead you down a frustrating rabbit hole of problems.

BambinoFan and tstidham like this.