Question XS400 rim size

While I don't have an answer for you, I will suggest that you don't ignore other brands. It is a matter of what will physically fit the bike.

- The hub width has to fit into the swing arm. Most bikes use spacers to center the wheel in the swing arm, and these can be fabricated as required.
- The stock axle bolt will determine the bearings required in the wheel. If the new wheel has a different sized axle bolt, that will take some research to find bearings that fit the new hub and your axle bolt.
- Are you willing to convert to rear disk brakes, or are you trying to find a wheel with a compatible drum brake?
- The rim diameter and tire size are restricted by what will fit your swing arm. Most modern rims are wider than our old school rims, so you will probably be looking at older bikes to find a narrow rim that will clear the swing arm and chain.

I'd suggest that you look for 17" or 18" rims since I understand you are interested in making your bike into a Dual Sport. Those are the more popular DS sizes. And spoked wheels are generally preferred as they are easier to repair than alloy wheels.

Have fun and let us know that you find!

Well my eventual goal is to have a dual sport bike and maybe Im asking the wrong question on how to go about doing it.My thought was to increase the rim size there fore giving the bike a more clearance all the way around.I know longer shocks and springs will also raise the bike but it just seemed easier to find a a bigger wheel.BTW I like mag wheels dont realy care for spoked wheels so Id prefer not to use them if I dont have to.As for braking drum is ok for me but disk even better since my rears are worn anyway.

The 77-79 models also the 76-77 xs360's came with a 18" rear wheel. I pretty sure this has been discussed before.

Probaly has my bad :doh:Guess I`ll go stand in the corner for about an hour and punish myself.:laugh:I have a boneyard sorta close by me and I`ll have to take a ride out there and see what they have.

bad scorpio bad!
16 inch rear drum mag, 18 inch disc mags (front or rear)
16 inch rear drum spokes, 18 inch rear drum spokes, 18 inch front drum spokes
18 inch front disc spokes WHOOOO!!!! - xs360 and xs250 only :(

idk about secas or maxims tho, not very familiar with them

don't forget that changing your wheel size seriously messes up your gear ratios, so you'll probably want to go for different sprockets as well.

They actually use the same sprockets 16-37 only the 78 2-E and the 79 2-F came with different 16-39 sprockets, which was weird because the 78-E and the 79-F came with the same size tire/rim but had the 16-37 sprocket:shrug:

Back