ran great last summer, this year.....nada

rescue50

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This forum has saved me a couple of times now, most recently with a clutch adjustment gone awry, so here I am again. I parked the bike last fall in great running condition . Ran it twice over the winter, (just because I missed it). Went to start it as soon as spring came....nothing. Turns over happily, but won't even hiccup. I have a feeling that it might be a fuel delivery issue, because there is no real significant gas smell, even after turning over a bunch of times, but I don't know for sure. The bike is an 81 xs400 special.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's 32 degrees Celsius outside and having the bike comatose in the garage is killing me.

Thanks in advance

First thing check for spark. Might have a blown fuse. If spark pull plugs put a bit of gas in each cylinder. put plugs back in try starting. If it fires up and runs for a few seconds then you know the ignition is ok. This indicates a full issue. Look in tank, Any gas? If not fill with fresh gas and try again.
If gas in tank it is probably the carbs. There are tiny passages for the idle and enrichener circuits that plug easily.
Clean them.
Leo

Back