Rear axle alternatives

MitchMotors

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I'm looking for a slightly longer rear axle for a SOHC. I want to mount a side plate holder and need about 3mm additional length. Doen't sound too much, but the original axle doen't have enough space left. Any ideas?
I don't have access to a lathe otherwise it could be an option to modify the original axle.

Head to a machine shop. If the work is slow they'd probably turn one down for you for about 50 bucks. Save them the time and get all the measurements you need and I'd suggest bringing the original rear axle in with you. I'm sure you could probably find bikes with a similar rear axle size by scouting the internet but ain't nobody got time fo dat!

At least I don't...

I also bought a side mount license plate holder I'd like to mount, not to mention the axle was so rusted in there I hammered it out and there was no way around it or to save the axle. I'm planning on having a machine shop turn a new one for me with the addition of length on both sides. as long as there isn't a problem with doing it, I want both sides threaded and axle nuts so that when removing it again, if i have issues, i can thread a slide hammer on the threads instead of hammering the axle and wrecking it. figure buy it once, do it right, save time and money down the road. would threads and a nut on the right side be an issue? original one is a big mushroom head with a hole in it.

Theres plenty of used axles available and easier options to mount license plates. My bracket mounts on the rear shock post. I believe most of them mount this way.

Back