Rear brake setup

cody1awesome

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could someone please show me the entire rear drum setup? I have a 78 XS400 and I can't get the setup right. I don't know which spring needs to be attached to get the brake lever to spring back, PLUS when I press the brake, instead of the brake arm pulling towards the front of the bike, it pushes backwards. It's almost like the thing is in upside down, but I don't see how that's possible. I just need pictures from the brake back to the drum. I would super appreciate the help, cause I would like to get this thing going in time to ride it at least once this summer.

There are springs attached to the shoes to pull them together, as well as the spring that wraps around the splined lever of the foot pedal to bring the pedal back up.

Is it possible that you have the splined lever section of the pedal rotated incorrectly which is causing the rod to be pushed back towards the rear of the bike rather than towards the front when pushing the pedal down?

This is the splined piece I am talking about.
$T2eC16hHJIIE9qTYM,zhBQlE6RTWtg~~60_35.JPG

This is how it should look at the rear tire though that's not an xs.

W800_drum_brake.jpg

I'll take a picture of the pedal assembly for you.

That's what that spring is for! I couldn't figure it out because it looked like my center stand spring and I thought I just had an extra. Well, at least I know that part now. I haven't had a ton of time to look at it, but I have been having a horrible time with the brakes. They look so simple but adjustment is driving me nuts. I'll check the splined pieced again, maybe take the whole brake setup apart and try to make sure it's all in there correctly.

Back