Rear brakes imploded XS400j

Bmi2

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello, bought this bike to hold me over until I got my sv650 back on the road, but found the handling to be quite peppy and decided to keep it. Anywho, my rear brakes imploded.

Any suggestions on where I might find new pads/housing/brake rod? Thanks!

From what I can see, you are going to want a new rim as well. I can only imagine what that drum surface looks like.

Ebay is the place to find what you need, and post a request in teh classifieds section.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. Have everything I need on the way for less than $70! Much appreciated!

I picked up an 83 XS650 a while back with a dead ignition. Swapped in a Pamco to get it running.
On the second or third ride the rear brake bound up a bit. Not bad, didn't lock up or anything. just slowed me down. I stopped and wheeled the bike back and forth a bit and things loosened up.
I was only a mile or so from home. Got it home and pulled the wheel. Found a pad had came unstuck from alloy backer and the backer broke in half.
Why this happened I'm not sure. The pad thickness was about half what the new ones were.
I suppose the pads were wore enough so the curve of the pad and drum didn't match and this tried to bend the alloy backer to match and cause the backer to brake.
Never saw anything like that before.
Perhaps something like that happened with yours. The pads or backer broke and jammed hard enough to brake the plate.
Leo

Back