Rear disc brake master cylinder seal kit

JPaganel

XS400 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My rear brake is wonky. It works, but it sticks, and I have to kick it to get it to let go.

I decided I am going to rebuild the rear brakes. I will replace the hose and the seals and clean it all out. The caliper seal kits are the same as for the XS650 and a few other bikes, so they are plentiful for about $20. The master cylinder kits seem to be in the vicinity of $60.

Is there a cheaper master cylinder kit available? I am still looking around, but maybe someone knows of a good source.

The OEM part number is 1U4-W0042-50-00.

I bought mine from a bike jumble (swap meet) for £20, just need to know the part number and have a good eye (only one good one needed) for the search.

Highly unlikely I'll make it to one of those any time soon. I work weekends, and that's when they usually happen.

I googled up some place that had the kit for $50, but now I lost the site. Gr.

Well, I pulled it all apart. The caliper, apparently, has been rebuilt and wasn't stuck. Teh master cylinder... Well, the circlip took some soaking in oil to come out and the rubber cuff on the piston was ripped. The cup on the spring seems OK, but it took some doing to get it all out.

So, I am in for a MC rebuild.

I found a place that had the kit for $48 and $11 and change in shipping.

http://www.boatpartguys.com/ocart/index.php

We'll see how this pans out.

I just did mine and couldnt get it to bleed after stripping it twice thinking I put it back together wrong.
I had to make this to get fluid into the caliper, then it worked fine

IMAG0896.jpg

dry bleeding is a real pain.

had to do my twin disk which took 2 days to do. I find if you leave the lever in the pulled position overnight, the fluid will bleed into the system and as soon as that happens it pulls the fluid in.

I emailed them.

Yamaha lists the same part number for the SR and XS kit, so I'm feeling pretty confident.

Nothing so far. I just called him and got voicemail. I left a message, let's see what happens.

Well, I emailed that guy and got nothing. First voicemail also got no response. Just left a second one. If I don;t hear back form him today I'm going to look into other options, like adapting a different MC.

I got a hold of Mark at Thumperstuff. Super nice guy. I got the kit from him, it came in the mail yesterday, and I put it in right away.

The bad news is that I got the last one he had. Looks like these kits are discontinued, and outside of finding one that happens to be sitting on a shelf you might be out of luck.

Back