RECTIFIER

pirate63

XS400 Member
Reaction score
BC513A10-A889-494E-82BF-0D97AD9D8982.jpeg
Hi Everyone
Xs400F starts real easy.
Trying to sort out wiring problems from previous owners.
Where does the red wire return to from the rectifier?
Thanks in advance

The red should go to the positive side of the battery. The black should ground to the frame.
Yeah i thought so. Connected a circuit reader to it when bike was running, was getting 30 volts……?
i am thinking the voltage controller is caput…?

I agree that the regulator is bad/wrong/wired incorrectly if you are getting 30v.

The XS400F wiring diagram pretty much sucks so hopefully your harness reconstruction is minimal.

Is it a combined regulator/rectifier or do you have separate components? If you have a separate regulator, the rectifier may still be good but your regulator is causing the full voltage issue. Here is a diagram of the charging circuit. The regulator controls how much output the alternator sends to the rectifier by modulating the amount of ground sent to the excitor coil in the alternator (the bright green wire), though usually they fail the other way and cause little to no output. It's also possible that ground to the excitor has shorted to ground and is causing full field/full voltage.

Attachments

• XS400_1979_wiring_diagram_charging_circuit.jpg
    XS400_1979_wiring_diagram_charging_circuit.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 146
18F5CE4F-782C-479C-B1A1-6071323BAAE6.jpeg
Hi guys
Received my combined reg from ricks motersport.
The plug in terminal, three white , but the red and black terminals are opposite away around from the original terminal.
Is it a simple mistake from Ricks and all I need to do is just swap them around in the terminal?

The new plug looks like it is wired the same way as the old one to me. If you hold the new plug with the wires coming from the top as the old plug is in the picture, they are the same (or is that only because I am looking at the picture in the northern hemisphere and it is really the opposite in the southern hemisphere!).

Ah, yes then the black and white are swapped and they put a female plug on instead of a male plug. You need to change both issues.

Back