Regulator and Coil Damage

bcware

Well-read
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hello!

Recently I had some issues with my motorcycle. My voltage regulator was fastened to the frame and over time the vibrations wore through the two wires on both sides attached to the black cylindrical coil-like thing (don't know what it is called); these wires were both in contact with the frame. My battery died on me and I was blowing fuses like crazy; even the bulbs inside my blinkers exploded.

I fixed the regulator and moved it, but once I got the bike running and verified it was charging I went for a ride. It ran fine at first, but after about 30 minutes on a warm day it just died while coming to a stop at a light while still rolling at maybe 10 mph. I was able to get it to start and rode it home, but it felt off; like it was suddenly weak and not firing correctly. I measured the battery voltage at 12.8 as soon as I got home.

I was wondering if the coils may have been damaged by the regulator damage; since both wires were in contact with the frame I am assuming this was bypassing the regulator and putting out too much current (hence the blown fuses and bulbs).

Could this have cooked my coils too? I feel like the bike was running great until it got up to full operating temperature because in my experience bad coils tend to really act up when the engine is hot, but they might act fine when temperatures are still cold.

Thanks for any insight!

I would test all the electronics on the bike. May have damaged more than one thing.

Thanks Chris; this might be the opportune time to upgrade the last remnants of the original electronics system!

I had new coils come in today (the black ones from Mikesxs); they were easy to swap out. Bike fired up first kick. It sounds strong and is charging well.

I will follow up once I ride it a bit and see if there are any other issues.

Back