REGULATOR fixed carry used spares!!!

cessnajumper

XS400 Member
Reaction score
1980 400 xs has a replacement seven wire rectifier regulator combo. It has the exact same colored wires as the two unit style with seperate regulator and rectifier. Am I able to join the wires from the new unit to all the wires on the two old units?

Got all the manuals, I just want to see if I will foul aything up if I just take all of the wires from the two units and splice them into one new unit. The manuals show where everything goes but not if I'll cause trouble when I go to rewire everything. I just want to check on the obvious which is how I get into trouble.

The new combo unit has 7 wires, the old units combined have eight. The extra black going from regulator is ground.

This is old rectifier and regulator s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600.jpg

This is unit I'm going to trys-l1600 (1).jpg

IF COMBINATION UNIT IS A NO GO THEN I'LL GET AN AUTOMOTICVE REG. THANKS FOR READING.

Oreillys doesnt have anything marked BWD however advanced auto has the regulator and connector. This one here is NAPA I heard I can use? Right?
NAPA Mileage Plus Voltage Regulator - Transistorized
Part #: MPE VR38SB Product Line: Mileage Plus Electrical Warranty: Download
NWMDC.jpg

Last edited:
I would say you need to look at the specs of your combination unit to see what should go where and then connect the appropriate wires. I myself have stock so I don't know anything about combo units so I am just kinda guessing here.

The new combo unit has 7 wires, the old units combined have eight. After connecting, the old regulator harness still has a black wire input. Is this groun
Yeah, black wire is ground. The combo connects them internally.

I'm curious to see how this works out.
There have been mixed results on combo units in the past.
The combo units are sold as compatible with XS400s but there were two styles of wiring for the regulator that aren't interchangeable.
No way to know that it'll work until it gets connected.

Yeah, black wire is ground. The combo connects them internally.

I'm curious to see how this works out.
There have been mixed results on combo units in the past.
The combo units are sold as compatible with XS400s but there were two styles of wiring for the regulator that aren't interchangeable.
No way to know that it'll work until it gets connected.
I tried the combination regulator rectifier and joined like colors and then tried a 296. Tried changing what goes where and somehow got a great reading with green to ground but could not duplicate!!!! Took regular ground and grounded through the units and frame and battery, tried it all.
After not getting the voltage to go above 12.3 I reattached my defective stock regulator and you guessed it, IT WORKS JUST FINE NOW!!! Just shoot me.
Reving it brings it up past 13.8

With the amount of stock units still out there I would just stick with those.

You are my brother now. Just ordered another one from the interweb. Gooood advice! Searching gets you lots of big ideas
s-l1600.jpg
BUT NO JOY. FIGURE I RECONNECTED THE UNIT FIVE TIMES AND LOOK LIKED THAT DID IT. RIGHT AFTER THAT I FIXED A STICKING BRAKE SWITCH BY PUSHING MY FOOT BRAKE IN AND OUT A DOZEN TIMES.
New procedure now before checking ground. Thanks s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Back