Regulator installation - where to attach? on frame?

03cranec

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1980 xs400 bobber and the regulator is shot. I've got the replacement ready to go, and the wiring looks easy - just unplug the bad one and plug this one in. What I would love a little advice on is how to attach the new regulator to the bike? It's the newer, electric one - on the right in the attached image - with two screw holes.

The old one is just dangling loose with all the other electrical components under the seat (due to all the custom work on the bike), and I'm worried that this had something to do with it going bad. Maybe it crossed some wires and shorted or just got overheated.

How was the regulator attached in the original installation? Is it screwed onto the frame somewhere to ground it? Is it screwed onto something non-metallic so it doesn't short? Is it on the outside of the body or somewhere well ventilated to keep it air cooled?

Any advice, or even a picture, that could help me recreate the original attachment, or a newer better one, would be awesome!

Thanks all!

-Chris

Attachments

• pics.jpg
    pics.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 355
The original reg is bolted to the battery "box" on the bike; two bolts go through the bushings you see there in the photo. The unit itself does not ground through the bushings of course, so it doesn't need to be attached to anything. If it was really banging around maybe it got damaged. Just bolt it to something; it doesn't matter really. If you don't have a good solution You can just zip tie it. I am fond of velcro zip ties; they're awesome!

This is from an '81 I believe, but it basically looks like this:

$T2eC16h,!ykE9s7tyfS2BQDd4b2j5Q~~60_3.JPG

Back