Regulator Issues

auhenry

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just finished a small rewire on my XS400, lengthened some wires and shortened others up to help them fit my cafe/brat seat. Just finished connecting all of my new terminals and plugging everything in and what do you know, it isn't charging.

I am running a brand new R292 regulator for the first time because my old one had pooped out on me. After I found out that the bike wasn't charging I tried the "Razor Blade" test and found that my field coil wasn't making any magnetism when the bike wasn't running (the field coil does however make magnetism when hot wired). I figured I may have swapped the green and brown wires (during my rewire) so I tried switching them with no luck. I suspect that my field coil not getting magnetism is the problem, but I don't know exactly why that is the case. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Okay quick update, so it turns out that my regulator is putting positive charge to my green wire. Checking from the field coil connector I am getting roughly 9.5 Volts DC when I measure from the green wire to a ground. I am getting about 10.5 Volts DC when I measure from the brown wire to ground. If I measure from the brown to green wires I get about a 1 Volt DC reading. Now it makes sense why I'm not getting magnetism but I don't know why my regulator is doing that.
I wired the R 292 reg the way that Drewcifier did in his write up with the Yellow and Orange going to Brown, the Green to Green, and Black to Black. At this point is it seems like it's time to get a new regulator. Has anyone had any luck with anything other than an R 292?

Back