Relay Assembly circuit problems? Please help!

aaroncarver

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So, I have a 79 xs400 that I've owned for a few years. I had it running and drove it to work somewhat regularly but now it's sat for two years. When it ran it had some short circuit problems...Always blowing the same fuse. My buddy put what he called a surge fuse in it and that solved the problem. He said that this particular fuse, though it's a ten amp fuse can handle 12 for brief periods of time because the spring in it. Whatever the case, it solved the problem.

Now, I'm rebuilding the bike and the Wiring harness is currently on my kitchen table--I traced the circuit that was blowing fuses: it's the circuit with a red running to the "relay Assembly" and the brown wire running to the Main Switch Steering lock. (and the voltage regulator)

The problem with tracing this short is that none of the wiring diagrams (on this site or elsewhere) has the "Relay Assembly" on them at all. Can anyone tell me where it's supposed to be?

Aw crap...forgot to mention a couple things: My wiring harness doesn't follow the 1979 wiring diagram in several key places. AND when I gently shake the Relay assembly I can here something rattling. And when I use the multimeter it shows resistance of varying levels between the three (of four) posts that aren't earth.

Back