Removing handlebar inserts [1979 XS400F]

Jamps

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I couldn't find anything on this and I assume the #1 answer will be "just get aftermarket bars" but I wanted to know if there was a way to remove the welded in handlebar inserts. I want to install bar end mirrors and run internal wires, so drilling and tapping the insert won't help. They gotta come out.

As far as I can tell the weld is only on the outside of the hole on the bar ends. [don't see any tap weld hole on the outer bar.] Is there a known procedure for removing these? I have tried using a grinding stone in my dremel to carve away at the weld, and that worked to a degree but I can't get into the little space between the insert and the inner wall of the handlebar using the dremel [too big.]

Looking for a hand tool solution if you got em. Anybody got any experience or advice?

Thanks!
Ryan

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 9.58.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 9.58.30 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 209
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 10.00.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 10.00.14 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 206
Drill the center to then put a lag screw in it to self tap and then pry the lag screw out along with the weight. Go deep enough or you will simply pull threads instead. The sizes you choose determine success there. If the plug is lead then simply heat it.

Drill the center to then put a lag screw in it to self tap and then pry the lag screw out along with the weight. Go deep enough or you will simply pull threads instead. The sizes you choose determine success there. If the plug is lead then simply heat it.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I’m a little new to this so bear with me... so, the plug is probably not lead cuz it’s hard as hell to drill into, I was able to drill a hole into it but it took a lot of time and broke a few smaller bits in the process.
Are you saying to break the weld I have to put the lag in and rock the insert back and forth till it comes free? Is there enough room inside the handlebar for the insert to move?

thanks again!
Ryan

That thing is welded 3/4 of the way around.............have a cut wheel if it was me by the looks of it only an 1/8th" or so in just cut it........

Why not just cut 1/2 inch off the ends of the bars?
I wanted to see if I could do it without cutting the bar itself, but If I can't pull out the inserts then I'm gunna end up doing that.

My goal is to run internal wiring and use POSH style mini controls. The length of the handlebar area for all the controls is about 8.5 inches. And the throttle, POSH controls, and break lever clamp are also 8.5 inches together. So If I cut 1/2 inch off the bar, I'm gunna have to cut 1/2 inch off the throttle tube to compensate, which is fine the tube i have is long. I had to do the same thing for my Honda Ruckus when I put bar end mirrors and new grips on it.

Y that would be a pain, but like you say it’s pretty well fixed in there. Have you tried a hole saw? I drilled out the baffles on a exhaust with one, but you may need a new drill to make a pilot hole. It’s shouldn’t be too hard, may be it’s the chrome plating that is making it hard to drill

Y that would be a pain, but like you say it’s pretty well fixed in there. Have you tried a hole saw? I drilled out the baffles on a exhaust with one, but you may need a new drill to make a pilot hole. It’s shouldn’t be too hard, may be it’s the chrome plating that is making it hard to drill

Oh, it's a huge pain! But thats fine with me. A hole saw is an idea, I will look into that.

Thanks!

The weld may well be harder than the holesaw teeth. Dremel with a rock and a little patience. I've cut so much weld like that I can't keep up with it.

Back