Repainting Bottom of Engine?

MotorPsycho

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may seem like a dumb question, but I am going to be repainting my engine soon - how do you go about painting the very bottom of the engine? Do you just hang the engine in the air to get to the bottom? My engine is out of the frame now, by the way.

Also, what kind of paint do you guys recommend for painting the engine that is fairly oil and engine resistant?

Thanks for your help.

make sure the prep is there or you'll be wasting your time. I used POR paint stripper in a spray bottle to get the old paint off.

Best Paint I used was PJ1, no undercoat is required. But is very hard to get hold of now :(

I know paints very well and i recommend an epoxy paint. Strongest and toughest as they come. Use etch primer on bare metal before painting too

My local yamaha dealer sells pj1 in gloss/flat black and silver. Maybe try yamaha if you go that way. Just make sure there are no leaking areas under the bike or the paint won't stick:wink2: Also remember if you do any kind of real riding it will never say clean under there, bare metal might be a better option.

My local yamaha dealer sells pj1 in gloss/flat black and silver. Maybe try yamaha if you go that way. Just make sure there are no leaking areas under the bike or the paint won't stick:wink2: Also remember if you do any kind of real riding it will never say clean under there, bare metal might be a better option.

I thought about that, but it would look kinda goofy having most of the engine painted and the bottom not painted, won't it? Maybe I'll just tape it off and leave the bottom that's not seen bare.:shrug::confused:

Who is actualy going to get down and look underneith to know?The engine wont know,only you and everyone on this forum who read this post but Im sre they`re not telling anyone:laugh:

... but it would look kinda goofy having most of the engine painted and the bottom not painted, won't it? Maybe I'll just tape it off and leave the bottom that's not seen bare.:shrug::confused:
Here's what KemoSabe would do: Wait until the engine is back in the frame but before the tank and battery are installed (otherwise you have to drain and remove).
Throw your lasso over the branch on the hanging tree, put the noose under the steering yolk and lift the front end up until it's high enough for you to get under comfortably. :thumbsup:

Who is actualy going to get down and look underneith to know?The engine wont know,only you and everyone on this forum who read this post but Im sre they`re not telling anyone:laugh:

Maybe I'll just clean it really good, and paint the bottom with several coats at an angle, and keep moving it around until I can get all of it painted a little at a time.

I know no one else can see it, but I'm a tiny bit OCD so just knowing that one piece isn't "done" would bug the crap out of me. I think I'm going to go for semi-"show quality" as much as possible, and work out every nook and cranny I can as best I can.

Now if only I had somewhere to work on the damn thing besides my driveway...LOL!:doh:

make sure the prep is there or you'll be wasting your time. I used POR paint stripper in a spray bottle to get the old paint off.

Best Paint I used was PJ1, no undercoat is required. But is very hard to get hold of now :(

This may be a dumb question, but is the engine painted? Clear-coated? Looks like bare metal to me, but then again, this is only my second motorcycle, and the first one I never looked closely enough at the engine to tell.:shrug:

You can always take lou rangers suggestion,find a near by tree and raise it high enough by using using a rope.As for having a place to work on it do like what I did just rent a cheap storage unit and use it for a garage.

Back