Replacement front master cylinder

JPaganel

XS400 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My master cylinder leaked from the reservoir. 35 years in the sun turned the plastic the consistency and appearance of sponge cake. Also, a previous owner stripped the screw insert on one corner completely out.

The reservoirs do not appear to be available separately. Being cheap and in need of getting this fixed I opted for a new, but low-cost set form eBay. It was 39.99 and free shipping.

The set was sold as "7/8" Brake Clutch Master Reservoir Lever For CB599 / CB600 HORNET 1998-2006".

There is no brand name or part number, this is generic Chinese stuff. The brake lever is adjustable for pull and comes with the stoplight switch. The clutch lever has a safety switch built in. The XS400 doesn't have a clutch interlock circuit, but you could add one with this.

The quality is fairly decent. There are some machining marks, but nothing that can't be polished out.

The gotchas:

The switch terminals are not the common spade size that all automotive kits have, but a size smaller. The right spades are still widely available.

The mirror threads in the perches are the same size, but the right perch is same right-hand thread as the left perch. This is a Honda thing, Yamaha uses left hand threads on the right perch. This meant getting new mirrors. The generic mirrors from the local cycle shop actually seem to be an improvement - they vibrate less and I see more road and less sleeve.

The bolts on the bar clamps are a hair too long. A washer under the head of each one fixes this.

The clutch lever has the cable channel too narrow. A little careful dremeling is required.

The big clutch problem is that the lever is made for a cable with about 19mm less free length. You can get a custom cable made (about $40) or try to shorten your own. I used a spacer where the cable enters the sprocket cover. Seems to be working.

Also, the perches come with the nuts on the bolts that hold the levers loose. No problem to tighten them, but have to remember to check this.

I chose to make my own wiring harness for the stoplight switch and I also replaced the hose with a Teflon core stainless braided hose from Pirtek, an industrial hydraulic hose supplier. They make any kind of brake hose you want, often while you wait. I have the same hose on the rear brakes already.

The brakes with the new MC and hose are just awesome.

It looks good. I also bought a new master cylinder head and actually just switched it out tonight. I'll need to go back to put in some break fluid and bleed the breaks... how did this work out?

Hi JPaganel, how did you get on with the chinese master cylinder?
I have just bought a project which has them and am wondering if they are any good.
Graham

The only thing you need to be careful of is the bore size. The stock bore size is 14mm. You don't want one bigger. As in 16 mm this makes the brakes not works as well.
Going to a smaller bore, as in 12.7 mm as most of the Chinese made ones are improves the brakes. More power, better feel.
Leo

Back