Replacement Gas tank

misternovice

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1984 xs400, and I've been having zero luck in finding a new gas tank for it. The old one is a bit small (3.5Gal total I believe?) and I'm hoping that there is a bigger one.

As it is, I get maybe 150km tops out of 1 tank, and that's pretty much to empty.
I average about 14km/L, and I'm hoping to get some longer rides in this summer, where there will be periods of up to 150km without gas.

If anyone knows of a replacement larger gas tank that would fit on a 1984 xs400, that would be swell.
Minimal modifications would be preferable. Thanks!

From what I've heard, any tank would require some modification. I don't really know to what extent, but I imagine it'll have to do with the size of the tank and such. I can understand your want for a larger tank, I however don't have a need for one.. But I am curious what condition your stock tank is in? :) My current tank is rusted on the outside (covered by spray paint) and a layer of rust on the inside. May just buy a new stock tank if I can find one on the cheap.. Let me know. :)

Also, have you considered carrying a small jerry can with you?

Jerry can - definitely something I'm going to be doing on the longer rides, just out of principle. I've run out of gas a few times within he city, and it's a real mother fucker pushing this beast a few km to the nearest station. I can't imagine a fuck up like that where I'm actually stranded.

My tank is fairly okay, at least from what I can tell. One of the previous owners put a Kreem coat on the inside, so there's no rust there. The outside is a bit dinged (original red paint covered by green paint of some sort, but even that's faded away and splotchy in a few places.

Back