Replacing carbs with non-OEM?

Aedan Graves

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all, It's been a while since I've posted anything on the forums and I come with a question.
The situation;
I picked up my bike used Nov of last year, and the previous owner didn't at all take care of the bike, failing to do basic maintenance. As such the carbs needed cleaning or a rebuild. I went to do it my self and all was going well until I got to the pilot jets, they were stripped to the point where bent metal from the top of the jet was sticking out into the hole effectively clogging them. Unfortunately I made it much worse trying to get them out and ruined the carb. I'm looking around and found a few rebuilt XS Mikuni carbs but they're very expensive and I'm hesitant to buy rebuilt for that much.

The question / TL;DR; Are there any other carbs that I can replace the stock carbs with (like a pair of Mikuni VM32 for instance) or should I stick with OEM parts?

Thanks - Aedan

Which side carb do you need? I have bodies I can sell you for a good price.

Left and right side 80-82 sohc xs400 carb bodies. Empty with nothing in them. Pilot mix screw caps removed as well as screws. Will need cleaning and I would strongly recommend replacing the shaft seals as these are old and would not be good. Nothing broken on or in them. $65 shipped. Paypal only.
DSC03685.JPG DSC03686.JPG DSC03687.JPG DSC03688.JPG

Left and right side 80-82 sohc xs400 carb bodies. Empty with nothing in them. Pilot mix screw caps removed as well as screws. Will need cleaning and I would strongly recommend replacing the shaft seals as these are old and would not be good. Nothing broken on or in them. $65 shipped. Paypal only.
View attachment 33806 View attachment 33807 View attachment 33808 View attachment 33809

just the bodies right? no jets/mix screws? I'm definitely interested if you could PM me in the morning

Back