Restarted Project

Drewpy - what you say makes sense. As much as I want to just bung 'em on and hope for the best, I don't want to go to all this effort just to watch the motor drop it's guts.

So if anyone has the heads off their engine, I would really appreciate if you could measure the cc's of the head/valve area and let me know.

Thanks for the instructions Ihaolpa, I will try and pick up a hone this week.

Pork Chop,

Do you still need that measurement info on head/valve cc's? If so, I can get that for you real easy since I am about to bolt my engine together this week and it is all apart at the moment.

Vinegar could take days to get stubborn rust off. For faster results Berryman's dip would work or a strong acid soak for a short time.

Pork Chop,

Do you still need that measurement info on head/valve cc's? If so, I can get that for you real easy since I am about to bolt my engine together this week and it is all apart at the moment.

Thanks for the offer Arclight but XSChris has already measured it for me.

Vinegar could take days to get stubborn rust off. For faster results Berryman's dip would work or a strong acid soak for a short time.

Thanks - I will let the little bolts soak for a few days in vinegar. I will also do the boil in lemon juice too to see how each one turns out.

I suspect that the crankcase might have 30 years of crud in it and thought it might be a good idea to flush the crankcase now that the top end is off. Can anyone advise what's the best way to do this? I was thinking of removing the clutch & then pouring in a couple of litres of kerosene or diesel & letting it soak for an hour then draining. Then fill with oil & drain again. Is this a good idea?

Cheers.

Pork Chop

Gday Pork Chop, good to see you making progress! Im waiting for parts atm, so progress is a bit slow for me but worth the wait because i scored 0.5 oversize NOS pistons AND rings for my rebuild:) That shit is rare as rocking horse shit in oz, thats why tehy coming from the uk:laugh: Got em for a steal too.

Im not sure about flushing the crankcase while its tohether but your idea sounds good. I guess splitting it isnt an option for you?(then you could just vapour blast the whole thing and it will be like new inside and out:thumbsup:)

Gday Pork Chop, good to see you making progress! Im waiting for parts atm, so progress is a bit slow for me but worth the wait because i scored 0.5 oversize NOS pistons AND rings for my rebuild:) That shit is rare as rocking horse shit in oz, thats why tehy coming from the uk:laugh: Got em for a steal too.

Im not sure about flushing the crankcase while its tohether but your idea sounds good. I guess splitting it isnt an option for you?(then you could just vapour blast the whole thing and it will be like new inside and out:thumbsup:)

I think i saw the pistons & rings on ebay uk. Glad you got them.

I am not to keen to split my case so i thought a flush would be good.

I am going ahead with the 250/400 mutant love child and will let you know how things progress. I have already sent some parts to a vapour blaster and can't wait to see the results. One thing he said was that you should only blast the piston crowns as there is a slight risk of embedding media on the sides of the piston.

I got a some new stainless bolts for the side covers and stuff. Cost $8 more than ebay but I got them straight away and the store is only 10 minutes from my house.

Cheers.

From my experiment of soaking the bolts in either lemon juice or vinegar for 3 days, the vinegar got the best results for rust removal and cleaning.

I realised that my engine had already been flushed when the petcock leaked and filled the crankcase with petrol. :shrug:

Operation Increase-squish-space is in full swing. Here is my hand-made copper cylinder base gasket. I photocopied the paper gasket then covered the copper in masking tape then used contact adhesive to stick on the photocopied template.

2012-03-15211937.jpg
[/IMG]

It is not perfect but I am pretty happy with it and it will do the job of lowering the compression ratio. I am still going to use the paper gasket and a bit of gasket goo on the other side.

I have made a bit of progress.

I painted the inside of the rims with VHT primer and then got the tires mounted.

I have washed the crankcase twice now but it still feels a bit greasy so I will hit it with some brake cleaner and steam cleaner later this week.

I ordered thin wall cable for the new harness. I had to order the stuff from the UK.

I took the frame over to my parents house to do some chopping. I had forgotten how much fun grinding steal is. Here are some Pork Chop Chop Shop pics. While I was working I heard a sweet sound the other side of the fence and had a look - there was a guy pulling up on a 900ss all black and gold. :thumbsup:

The project is picking up momentum now and I am getting amped.! :bike:

Attachments

• 2012-03-25 18.04.29.jpg
    2012-03-25 18.04.29.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 341
  • 2012-03-25 18.04.02.jpg
    2012-03-25 18.04.02.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 321
  • 2012-03-25 15.59.33.jpg
    2012-03-25 15.59.33.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 338
  • 2012-03-25 18.18.23.jpg
    2012-03-25 18.18.23.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 400
btw pork chop your crankcase may not be as full of crud as you think. when i pulled mine apart it really wasnt that bad, sure it had some crap in there but nothing that would really worry me if i didnt clean it out. i thought it would be a lot worse. It could all depend on how often the previous owners changed the oil? but yeah if you there anyway it would be silly not to clean it. just saying i dont think its gonna be a fatal mistake if you forgot to do it or something.

btw pork chop your crankcase may not be as full of crud as you think. when i pulled mine apart it really wasnt that bad, sure it had some crap in there but nothing that would really worry me if i didnt clean it out. i thought it would be a lot worse. It could all depend on how often the previous owners changed the oil? but yeah if you there anyway it would be silly not to clean it. just saying i dont think its gonna be a fatal mistake if you forgot to do it or something.

I poured some kero down the bores & let soak a little then drained - good enough for me. It is the outside of the case that I will paint that seems to have endless grease on it. I will scrub with brake cleaner then acetone & hopefully that will do it.

Posted via Mobile

Back