Restarted Project

:
I had a chat with the owner - nice guy. He had bought it 20 years ago & rides it every couple of weeks. I was hoping he would lend it to me until my bike was back on the road but no go. :laugh:

Posted via Mobile

hey it never hurts to ask:laugh:

I really dig the satin grey cast aluminium look and the vapour blasting guy gave me the finish I wanted.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 2012-03-29 11.17.43.jpg
    2012-03-29 11.17.43.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 366
  • 2012-03-29 11.15.00.jpg
    2012-03-29 11.15.00.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 355
  • 2012-03-29 11.14.05.jpg
    2012-03-29 11.14.05.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 362
Here is what I did to the rear of the frame. I plan on using a cut down original fender mounter further inboard on the existing tabs so it is shorter and more horizontal.

I did notice that a bit of split tubing has been welded on top of the frame just after the shock mounts - makes me suspicious that it might of been in prang.? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_5356.jpg
    IMG_5356.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_5357.jpg
    IMG_5357.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 350
Looks sweet bro, i really like the yamaha writing on the tank...looks real retro:) Looking forward to seeing it finished.

btw what have you got going on with the first photo, the bike is real detailed and sharp then everything else is blurry. Its a nice effect, is that an expensive camera or did you photo shop effects in?

I used The GIMP (poor mans photoshop). There was quite a bit of clutter in the back ground of the photo so I applied some gaussian blur and dodged the frame. It is a bit hokey as I was using the trackpad on my laptop and you really need a mouse to be more accurate.

Funny you like the Yamaha on the tank - it looks much better in the pic than in real life and the tank will be bare metal by the end of this weekend.

Nice seat - Very similar to what I'm looking for. Where did you get it? Reminds me of a Deus...

I got the seat from Motolanna in Thailand. It is a copy of the Nitroheads Tuck roll seat but 1/2 the price. Deus is just up the road from me & the nitroheads seat is better quality but out of my price range.

Here is the satin black vht roll bar paint. Crappy phone camera doesn't do it justice but what do you guys think?

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 2012-04-13 15.41.46.jpg
    2012-04-13 15.41.46.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 361
Thanks Drewpy. I had second thoughts about it right before I sprayed it & almost went gloss black as I like how RevrdMark's frame looks but I am happy with the satin as it is a bit different.
I stripped the swingarm back to bare metal, bloody hell, there were 4 different layers of paint on that sucker. :banghead: Black, red white and black. I almost killed 2 wire wheels in the process. The top triple tree had 4 layers of paint too. I didn't think I would spend that much time on these parts but once I started I was committed and damn they took a long time to strip.

Posted via Mobile

i went satin black base coat with a gloss clear coat. came out kinda "suede" looking. but now its all beat up so its gonna get PC'd in the winter. cant really go wrong with satin black. usually comes out looking awesome. and in your case, it did. :)

After days of crap weather I finally got around to painting the crankcase and bottom triple tree. I set up a dodgy paint teepee today and laid down some VHT cast iron engine paint.

Here is the pic.

Posted via Mobile

What do you guys think of my high-tech engine stand?

Attachments

• 2012-04-25 16.11.25.jpg
    2012-04-25 16.11.25.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 364
Back