Restoring a badly restored 82

bentwrench

DOHC Crazy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey. How ya doin. Me? I'm fine. Great really.

Yeah, it can be cold here in Canada, but the summers are hot, and it's such an empty country that there's a ton of places to ride.

For a living? Well, I'm a stay at home dad. Mom always said to marry a doctor, and that worked out pretty well for me. I've got a 15 month old daughter and a 4 pound dog. They keep me pretty busy, but I still have a ton of time on my hands.

Most stay at home moms either veg out on the couch, or start makin' stuff to sell to other stay at home moms. Usually knit sweaters or macrame, whatever the hell that is. Me? I got it into my head that I should try fixing up bikes.

Dunno it I'll make a penny on this, but it'll give me something to do while the baby is asleep, right?

So I picked up a 1982 XS400 DOHC yesterday. Didn't run, oil leaking from the head gasket, oil leaking from the oil filter gasket, bad paint job, but otherwise looked pretty good. The exhaust is toast, but not a lot of rust otherwise (we have rust issues up here - lots of salt on the road, and some crazies like me will ride year round in snow drifts higher than your helmet.) 32000K or so on the dial, and it looked like the problem was with the electrics. We agreed on a price, and I trailered it home.

Today, I got the bike running. The ignition fuse was shot. 20 cents invested and I doubled the value of the bike. But I kinda like the way it looks. It's a good lookin bike. Reminds me of my old 550 Nighthawk. And I gotta admit I liked the way the engine sounded.

So it's sticking around, for a bit. During my daughter's nap I took off the tank, mufflers and carbs. Looks like someone screwed an extra regulator rectifier on the intake panel, after stripping the screws on the original. Intake plenums look like they're about 100 years old, and obviously improvised. Wires everywhere - I've already got the wiring diagram, and I'm sure I'm going to need it. Got a gasket kit in the mail, and I'll see if I need to rebuild the carbs in a bit. I'll post pics once I know how to do it, but in the meantime, I'll share what I figure out, and probably ask a lot of questions.

Nice ta meet cha, and I'm sure we'll be talking lots.

Bentwrench

Pictures don't do it justice - I should have taken shots of it in the sun when I got it back yesterday, but now it's at the back of my workshop, wedged between my turbo miata and my woodworking bench tools (too many projects... must stop buying toys...)

But here's a video of me firing it up for the first time, once I fixed the fuse...

More pics to come for sure. I got the carbs off, and boy are they rusty!

First time firing up the XS400

Needs some tuning, methinks...

I had my volume up really loud for the sinister laughing. This should be interesting.

Day 2 was carb day, and it all ended with a bang.

My daughter went to sleep for her afternoon nap, and I ran out to the garage, rubbing my hands with anticipation. The carbs had been removed on Sunday, and I'd spent the evening reading, re-reading and re-re-reading everything that I'd have to do.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

The first problem is that my carbs look much more corroded than the ones in any pictures:

2011-04-11 13.12.03.jpg

2011-04-11 13.12.23.jpg

Fortunately, it would seem that over the last 30 or so years, no one has overtorqued the bolts, and as my wife said after the waterskiing accident, I lost my bottoms!

2011-04-11 13.18.04.jpg

The floats are in great shape, and seem to be resting within spec. The jets all came out easily, and were mostly clean. There was a little bit of gunk in the bottom of the carbs, but very little varnish. If I had to guess, these have been cleaned no more than a couple of years ago.

2011-04-11 13.20.20.jpg

2011-04-11 13.42.57.jpg

2011-04-11 13.28.55.jpg

I cleaned one set of jets at a time, to make sure nothing got mixed up. Odd that the main jets are different sizes for each carb - must have to do with the off centre air intake.

Hmm... looking at these pictures, note to self. Do not use that loaf pan again for banana bread.

Now, a word to the wise, that I should have kept in mind. If you have rusty bolts, soak them before you try to remove them with something like PB Blaster. I did not, and now I can only get one breast exposed - ah - top removed. These little bolts are pretty soft, and I'll be going to the hardware store for four new ones after I drill out the one I've now rounded.

2011-04-11 13.31.51.jpg

Otherwise, everything is coming up roses. I was working in the garage with the front and side door open, help open by a pile of bricks, and was running out of time before I knew my daughter would wake up. Sure enough, as though it was a sign from above, a huge gust of wind told me it was time to clean up by slamming the side door and shattering the window.

2011-04-11 14.24.31.jpg

So, that's it for today. God told me it was time to stop. Tomorrow, I'll finish the carbs, and then get back to work on dropping the engine.

if your struggling undoing those screws, i've have good results using those adjustable pincers aroung the head!

It's actually an M5, and I picked up an extra at the auto shop around the corner. All ready to drill and screw tomorrow. Maybe tonight too once my wife is back from the gym...

Do those carbs have a plug to cover the pilot jet? I didn't see any in your pile o' parts.

It's actually an M5, and I picked up an extra at the auto shop around the corner. All ready to drill and screw tomorrow. Maybe tonight too once my wife is back from the gym...

Been a year since I replaced mine....5mm, 6mm...what's a millimeter among friends?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is....well said

nothing better than a mechanical project to use as an excuse to get ur hands dirty for a few hours

Back