1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Resurrecting a XS400RJ for a friend of mine who just got her MC license

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gpounce32768, Jun 22, 2022.

1. gpounce32768

gpounce32768 XS400 New Member

It only has 2500 miles on it, but sat indoors for at least 20 years (otoh water got into the tank rusted lots of holes in it) but having cleaned the carbs the bike is running great- everything else works. I opened up the AF screws a bit and balanced the carbs, doesn't seem like it really wants new jets but I could do it if strongly recommended.

New tires etc are coming, will clean and regrease all the suspension links when the wheels are off. When I do the fork oil are there any suggested tweaks to viscosity/amount? I did a Nighthawk's suspension a year or 2 ago and the win there was slightly more and thicker than the OEM spec to improve damping and stiffen them a bit... wondering if something like that would be suitable here?

Sure is nice to work on an almost new 40yr old bike lol; nothing rusted solid or beat to death- just gummy... OTOH that tank is going to be a pest... going for sanding & derusting, metal putty and POR15 and crossing my fingers.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    tstidham likes this.
  2. tstidham

tstidham XS400 Enthusiast

Good luck on the tank repair, on the plus side, I have seen a few on flea bay, so worst case...

3. JPaganel

JPaganel XS400 Addict

Not all putty is fuel-resistant. If you are patching a through hole, be sure to check what the label says.

4. gpounce32768

copy that... got it from POR along with the prep/coating and rust dissolver- so its compatible. Apparently, before curing it can be easily shaped with a wet finger, hoping that I can feather the stuff on the visible portion of the tank.

getting the new tires on the wheels tomorrow...

JPaganel likes this.
  5. gpounce32768

Drained and refilled the forks- the caps are quite interesting. I found a light push on the plugs with an arbor press would afford access to the locking rings with a dental pick, getting them out is easy at that point (not like fighting with a circlip)- so for sure find a way to have a 3rd hand or similar to push them down. Oil was the usual dirty and smelly brew, put in the new stuff.

236cc's of 10w on the 82 XS400RJ

Once its on the road if it needs more damping I'll add some 15w- besides the greater viscosity adding a bit of oil should increase air pressure a bit when the fork compresses.

6. gpounce32768

I had a moment of glory yesterday- strapped a temp bottle of gas to the frame and rode down the driveway- 1st time the bike has moved under its own power in 20+ years. lol, but the new rear went flat as soon as I started moving, I think the shop which put the new tire on kept the old tube which failed.

Its tedious to bleed the front brakes but they're maybe 70% there, enough to fiddle around in the parking lot across the street. The bike isn't tagged so I'm not going anywhere in any case. The new front brake pads needed some filing in the hole for the retaining pin. It looks like the proper pads but the hole is not quite right. Might be due to the off-brand manufacture... we'll see how they shape up in use. I still have the old OEM pads which could be a step up.

Engine is tough to start but runs well once going... a bit skeptical of the carbs still but might be the little temp bottle needs to be mounted a bit higher to push enough gas into the carbs for starting. It sure is nice balancing these dual carbs, so easy to reach everything- was a pain doing that on my old Bandit.

7. tstidham

tstidham XS400 Enthusiast

Filing the pad slide hole is fine for getting them to fit but do make sure it is filed large enough to slide freely, plus some wiggle room for heat expansion. You don't want it dragging when fully hot and everything grew from heat. Otherwise, congrats!