round headlight recomendations

Ethanl

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any good light for cost for our bikes that are the round 5 3/4 dia I believe looking for something practical that works good but not going to kill the electronics on the bike or the pocket book on purchase

found more info on the headlight PO had on it is a koito PO had silicone allover the back like he tried to convert it to an h4 anyone know of the sealed beam 5 3/4 I found and automotive one that was 50/65 watt will the charging system on an 83 dohc handle that and also I would have to make a bracket to hold it in place with the one I found... any help would be greatly appreciated

sorry friend it took 3 tries to read your post it just makes little sense without punctuation you might get more replies if people understand your question remember we have members from all over the world and not everyone speaks or reads american...

The charging system will be strained by a 55/60W light, despite it's 240W output. At least mine was at lower engine speeds. After converting to all LED bulbs including the headlight, I had plenty of capacity, even at idle. Heated grips, extra lights, even an air horn were not a problem if used judiciously. There are plenty of options for motorcycle headlights, either from other bikes or from the aftermarket, that include buckets and mounts. No need to use an automotive headlight that doesn't have a good beam pattern for a motorcycle. Add an LED bulb and you will be set.

Dave-
true I was rushing with the whole thing to get it posted ill will work on that. and as far as the headlight goes now I used the koito housing I had and modified a H4 3 prong bulb to fit I wont be doing any night riding for a while with it and just need the light for safety reasons. as far as led lights go I will be using a led taillight and turn signals will also be updated to led 194 blubs do you think I will still have to much draw with the headlight or be ok I would like to have an led headlight just don't know enough about them and there beam patterns to make the jump. any advice you may have on those would be great

The Square one? this is a dohc that the previous owner changed a lot of stuff on and im not sure what was factory and what wasn't on this bike

Go to the classifieds here, or EBay. Next, type in "XS400 headlight". If you can only get the bucket and light, you can buy decent brackets from a number of places.

These lights have 3 simple bullet connectors and are sealed. Well, mine is.

Back