Rpm skyrocketing

Just to give an update, I got the MikesXS carbs, and I love them.
Originally was over tired and ended up ordering the 650 kit, but they told me the only thing that was different was the main jet, so I just swapped them out for the correct size when I got them, before installing.
steady idle, quick to return after letting off throttle, no lag on accelleration or bogging, smooth all the way. It came at 11 turns out on mixture, and I'm at 11.5, that's all the adjustment I needed. Mix screw is much longer than the mikuni carbs was, different setup. right carb has mix screw on right side, left carb has it on left so its amazingly easy to access!

3 quick things to keep in mind:
1. petcock sits pretty low, so you have to make sure your fuel lines don't get air pockets by keeping fuel on, or don't forget to turn it on. I leave it to prime (until I get the new petcock from the 650 non-vacuum), and no leaks whatsoever. Quality looks good, I don't know the company that makes them, but they did a good job and they made them specific for MikesXS I guess.

2. You may not have this issue (Since I ordered the 650 kit by accident) the billet carb mounts had to large of spacing between bolts, had to file them down about 1/8" on each side, but everything is sealed and good now, no leaks.

3. I thought the carbs were synced from the assembled kit (which you pay more for), and they may have been, but the locking screw for the throttle inlet on the carbs wasn't tight so I had to adjust them anyway.

4. Bonus: If you want to get this and save some cash, Do the following:
1.Put the 650 kit in your shopping cart
2.Add keihen 120 main jet to cart (they are priced for a set, not individually as I found out. I have 2 sets now)
3.Purchase, and assemble yourself when you get it.
4. You just saved $25

How did you sync them? I know some of the xs650 guys added air ports to the solid intakes so they could hook up a manometer. I guess you could find one of those types that goes into the mouth used on webber carbs. How does the bike pull on the road. Also at higher rpm's or around town when your on and off the throttle? These type carbs are either for racing when your at full throttle all the time or on a 2-stroke bike where quick on and off the gas is needed. This is why most street bikes have CV type carbs as they give a smooth throttle over a direct cable to slide setup. The mikesxs carbs also uses two cables one for each carb instead of one and linked carbs. This also makes syncing very hard to maintain. Maybe over the last few years mikes has found a better supplier and quality has improved. I would like to see how these hold up after a few k miles of use.

Back