running hot, loosing a cylinder, SPARK? :(

ahale2772

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So the bike is running crappy, took it for a long ride theother day and it ran like crap and limped it home on one cylinder. Its clearly loosing the right cylinder. Plugs don't look bad the right cylinder was washed with fuel but not fouled, the left looked like it was working hard but not fouled either, nor is it lean.

The bike rins ok when its cool (about as much power as I can expect yet im still disapointed with it). Then when it gets hot it looses a cylinder. I think it may have been the fact that my igniton box was above the engine and under the tank (box was hot to the touch). Last time I rode it I pulled the box out and put it in a more ventalated area....this seemed to help but still got a faint trace of it wanting to stumble and fart like it was loosing a cylinder when hot.

Could it be faulty plugs? I have swapped them from side to side but no difference, might they be the wrong heat range? What plugs are best?......

Im so freaking sick of tinkering with this bike.... im out of ideas :banghead: help!

Posted via Mobile

Unlikely to be plugs if you've swapped them and they are not visibly fouled. If temperature is a factor I would suspect the carbs.

I want your float height and I want to see how far your float needles are opening then the carbs are held right-side-up.

Do you run a fuel filter? Have you checked the passages recently for blockage? After I cleaned my tank I had more leftover gunk sneak past the fuel filter and clog the screen in my float needle seat.

I'm with BC on this being a carb issue. I chased a 1 cylinder issue in the carbs for quite a while. these carbs are just so darned sensitive, but take heart. Once you finally get them set right, they work really well.

Have you checked the timing itself?

Back