Running LED turn signals and tailight on a 6v system (non xs400)

sly409

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I got myself a 78 honda xl125 to play with and it didnt come with working turn signals or taillight. Actually the turn signals were aftermarket and the wires for them were all cut. Seems the PO didnt understand that the 12v aftermarket turn signals and brakelight wouldnt work correctly on the 6v system so he cut all the wires instead of just disconnecting them...:doh:

I wanna buy replacement turn signals and taillight and I'm thinking of going with LEDs. I did a little googling and if I'm understanding correctly LEDs should work on a 6v system because of the low draw right? I just wanna verify if this is true or not. Can I verify this with any of you electrical gurus? I think the worst is that I would just have to put resisters?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 65658_10201053030671883_576784117_n.jpg
    65658_10201053030671883_576784117_n.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 62
LEDs will work. The problem will be with the resistors. Since 12V is so common, most lights have the correct resistor built in to them. For 6V system, I believe you will have to solder in a resistor for the LEDs to work.

There are some taillight and turn signals which come set up for 6V but you will have to compare cost to creating your own with resistors. Good luck.

Ok so one more question guys. If I bought 12v turn signals (non led) and just replace the bulbs with the 6v version that should work too right?

That might be easier than buying LEDs and soldering resistors and *hoping that it'll work.

Back