Seals replaced, no more leak

JPaganel

XS400 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Since the bike threw the chain last summer I've had a small, but persistent oil leak that showed as a few drops under the crankcase after being parked for a day and a wet sidestand.

Apparently, what happened was that the chain hit the clutch pushrod and damaged the seal. Also, there was a little oil coming from the seal around the output shaft. Not enough to worry about, but I figured I'd do it once there anyway.

The clutch rod seal itself is only about $6 or so. The shaft seal is about the same.

First order of business is to clean off everything around the seals. There are piles of gunk there from oil combining with mud. A blast of a pressure washer might be helpful, but mind the spray - I still have black spots on my hands and face. Good thing I wear glasses.

The clutch rod seal can be extracted by inserting the tip of the rod into it and prying a little. Mine popped right out. I lubed the edges of the new seal with oil and tapped it in with a hammer handle. This is where you want to be careful, don't hit it too hard, or you will bend the metal and it will leak.

To get to the shaft seal you have to pull the sprocket. On my bike that takes flattening the lock washer and unscrewing the big nut. I reused the washer, carefully tapping it flat with a punch. I just folded a different part of it when I put it back on.

Once you have the sprocket off, you can pull out the sleeve around the shaft. This will leave a gap between shaft and seal you can get a tool into to pry it out. I used an Allen wrench I had handy, it also popped right out. Same as with the other seal, lubed the edge and tapped the new seal in, carefully moving around the perimeter and not hitting too hard.

The whole thing took under an hour, start to finish. Kickstand is dry now.

Back