SgS build

swbill

Slacker Garage Shop
Reaction score
Well this is my first xs400 build, I have done a few 650, Harleys and a gs550 but never a xs400. Picked this one up for $150 with a title and decided to make it a shop bike which means I can do what I want with it and in my time frame.
Goal is comfort, low investment, high quality.
I didn't get any pics of the bike before breaking in down and getting started.
Here are some progress pics.

All powder coated here in house.

Any info or experience on how air-cooled engines cope with being powder coated? Seems like it would insulate and make the engine run hotter...:umm:

I realize after re reading my post that it could be taken the wrong way. My girlfriend loves the Celeste/sea foam color, anytime I see something in that color that I can afford I know shell love it. Its also Bianchi's trademarked/patented color

Posted via Mobile

Any info or experience on how air-cooled engines cope with being powder coated? Seems like it would insulate and make the engine run hotter...:umm:

Rumor has it that there is a rise in temp with a powder coated engine. On this one only the side covers are coated. Everything black is high temp engine paint.

I realize after re reading my post that it could be taken the wrong way. My girlfriend loves the Celeste/sea foam color, anytime I see something in that color that I can afford I know shell love it. Its also Bianchi's trademarked/patented color

Posted via Mobile

Lol, no problem. I have a buddy that's been giving me shit about it being a girls bike. That color is sea foam green. When its done I think you should buy it for her :thumbsup:

Swbill only if I can past what I payed for my xs400 ;)

Plus, the only point of buying a new bike for her would be to get something substantially more powerful, and that's just not a 400 in this case. I will certainly show her pictures!

Posted via Mobile

That's looking real nice. The headlight is snazzy too. Also, you did more work than you mentioned! I see a seat pan and what looks like an ignition key in the electrics pan.

That's one of the reasons I may never have mine painted/powder coated like this. I ride so much that it would be get worn out in no time.

Still, some people enjoy the cleaning process. Here in NH with the cold winter some guys will spend the time cleaning rather than chopping things up like some of us :)

Back