she goes into 1st gear, and stalls

disreguard those posts. i took the side off and put the clutch cable back into the spring. adjusted it in Hough's directions... started her up and still same thing. she is stalling in 1st gear..

Turn it up to about 1200 rpm, or just in the middle between 1000 and 1500 and try it again. It should be 1200 according to the manual.

i think the clutch plates may be bonded together over the time it has stood still.

I'd jump start the bike in 2nd, put the brake on and pull in the clutch. if it they have bonded, then it will start lurching, give it more gas and hopefully the plates will free themselves, otherwise its a strip down on the right hand side.

i think the clutch plates may be bonded together over the time it has stood still.

I'd jump start the bike in 2nd, put the brake on and pull in the clutch. if it they have bonded, then it will start lurching, give it more gas and hopefully the plates will free themselves, otherwise its a strip down on the right hand side.

Yep, the plates like each other too much.

just need to clean and separate hopefully. there are cork plates which are intermixed with steel ones. try and free them first.

another way is to put you front wheel against a wall and try to free them that way, by engaging gear keeping the clutch in.

could always try running it up to approx. 10 mph in neutral then hop on and stuff it in first and rap the throttle to try and free the plates.

could always try running it up to approx. 10 mph in neutral then hop on and stuff it in first and rap the throttle to try and free the plates.

That's not a bad idea.

Do you have a center stand? If so, put it up, get it running with the back wheel spinning in second, then hit the clutch and rear brake as hard as you can while still giving it some gas.

Last edited:
it works real well too. my brother in laws dt 125's clutch was stuck and that freed it right up.

just an update... saturday i am taking her to a buddys garage and we are going to clean and free the clutch plates, sync the carbs, change the oil and oil filter. ill let you know how she runs after that!

Agreed. I missed it earlier, but new oil and possibly a crankcase flush with something made for that or Seafoam (in the crankcase) may help. For me, it'd be worth the try before taking the thing apart.

You really need to download the manual.I put mine on a cd-rom to have more access to it,and so my kids can't delete it to free up disc space. lha:bike:

Sometimes,the clutch can be held open[squeezed with tape holding shut]and left overnight.Sometimes,the clutch will separate on it's own. Changing oil and running some seafoam is also a good idea,as this will soften any gunk as you idle and adjust,etc. Then after warming up well,change again.Run the bike with the clutch held closed[disengaged]and it may just let go by itself.Good luck. lha:bike:

Back