she goes into 1st gear, and stalls

update... i brought the bike to my fathers in laws friends house. hes been a motorcycle mechanic for over 30 years so i figured id trust him. we found why the bike was stalling in first. the clutch was fine, all gears are fine. a previous owner of the bike had re-wired things themselves. because of this, the kill switch was no longer working (which i dont see myself needing anyway but taking it out of the circuit the way they did affected everything) the headlamp and front signals were not working. there was a bad relay in the bike and we had to jump out the neutral indicator light out of the circuit to get the bike to run properly. i dont need the light for now, i know when the bike is in neutral or in gear. there are 2 relays that site under the battery. they are a gold/brass color. one of them on my bike was not making a connection inside itself so we took it out, opened it up, and cleaned it so now it makes the connection. a safe way i figured out its working ok is when i put the key in the ignition and turn it, it makes a "click" noise. while we were at it we decided to takes the carbs off and clean them too. bike is running beautifully! rode it around all weekend and im going to register it today! i will keep u guys posted because i am planning on sealing the forks, and tracking down a minor oil leak soon....

I was gonna say put the kickstand up:laugh::laugh:. The bike will shut off if it's put in gear while the kicksatnd is up.

Thanks for the update, it will go into our collective unconscious to solve future problems. Perhaps a thread, unusual reasons the bike won't start. Or, weird problems and how they were solved.

To HoughMade

I had the same problem , I found your post on she goes into 1st and stalls . Followed your step by step and BAM !!!! MY 82 XS400J STARTED RIGHT UP AND SHIFTS PERFECT I wanna thank you for the blind help I couldnt have got her going without your help thank you

Back